PDA

View Full Version : Real bumper?

GMCTRUCK
10-07-2002, 15:16
Does anyone make a real bumper for these trucks that will hold a winch? I know of Ranchhand but was told they weigh a ton and I don't want to stress the front end that much. A winch alone weighs over 100lbs.

GMCTRUCK
10-07-2002, 15:20
I should also mention I want a bumper with enough clearance so that I can go through a mud puddle without ripping it off like the stock piece of garbage. The stock one is so low I don't think I'll need to buy a snow plow for this truck. ;)

GBurton
10-07-2002, 17:55
Any bumper or winch mount is going to add some weight to your truck. The Ranch Hand is a bit shy of a ton. I have the Ranch Hand replacement front bumper with a winch mount and the weight is around 250 pounds. Ranch Hand does offer some other type of units that weigh less but I don't know if they offer a winch mount with them.
Ramsey made my previous winch and mount and I had to be careful when I used it so I would not bend the fairlead mount. Straight pulls were ok but if I were pulling at any kind of an angle parts would bend. This is just a guess on my part but I doubt that you will be able to find a strong winch mount that weighs less than 150 pounds.
The other option is to install a front mount trailer hitch and use a temporary winch installation when you need your winch. That will save some weight and you will not have to carry the additional weight of your winch all of the time.

George

CALIMAX
10-07-2002, 20:22
Check with Hanson Ent. 831-757-9779. He is building one for my truck. He makes some awesome offroad bumpers seen in alot of magazines. This will be my third bumper from & have been very pleased with his quality 3/16 inch thick steel or stainless steel, whatever you want.

Maverick
10-07-2002, 21:29
GMCTRUCK,
Concerened about clearance with the front bumper? There was a gentleman at the 02' Rendevous that took is HD bumper cap off and put a painted (white) one on from a 1500. This raised his front bumper quite a bit. I think he said he had to do some drilling for a few bolts but it looked sweet. One way to get some clearance without changing the looks of the truck. Then just put a front reciever in for a removable winch. Just some ideas.

Oh shoot! I just seen that you have an 03'. Guess that idea won't work. Maybe just take that black insert out and raise the bumper. Just like a 1500.

[ 10-07-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Pizza Man
10-08-2002, 07:05
Warn makes a mounting bracket...its not a replacement bumber but it will hold your winch.
www.warn.com

JustWondering
10-08-2002, 07:29
GMCTRUCK,
Try roadarmor.com These bumpers may just be what you're looking for. ;)

dl537
10-08-2002, 08:44
Try Ruenel Bumpers at 1-800-338-2077. They are located in California and make a great bumper. It is my next add-on. I think they have a website but am not sure of the address. Call to find out.

dl537
10-08-2002, 11:02
Found out the website for Reunel, it is simply reunel.com
Good luck!