PDA

View Full Version : Back Seat Theater........

01_Duramax_Dually
10-05-2002, 22:02
Howdy,
Well I have waited for awhile for manufacturers to come out with systems and have been searching for a nice overhead TV. I know some guys in this forum have gone to great lengths and done some FANTASTIC installs and mods. However I preferred the drop down from the roof model more than the center console set up.

Anyway I was wondering if anybody has tried using this set up:

www.backseattheater.com

Thanks for any input, I am seriously considering this for my little people in the backseat....Long drives to drag races, need ways to keep them busy ... :D

mattb5150
10-05-2002, 23:07
Looks good. I'm contemplating the same thing. Have you found any info on price.

Matt B.

AKDmax
10-05-2002, 23:56
That's gotta hurt the old neck after an hour or so watching movies. Go check out a mini-van that has an overhead screen. Another option is the headrest monitors. Truckin' mag just did an article about installation of those. After seeing MDRAG's setup with the MITO bracket and DVD player that's the route I took. It doesn't interfere with the center console at all, the kids can watch it at a comfortable angle, and it's easily removed to go in another vehicle. Heres a link for you to check out. They sell several theater systems, and good service. http://www.mitocorp.com/panasonic_dvd_vehicle_specificat.htm

mattb5150
10-06-2002, 00:50
That looks like a better idea, just use your own portable dvd player in the truck. But we have the 40/20/40 bench seat in our truck, no center console so it looks like the mito won't work.

Matt B.

AKDmax
10-06-2002, 01:30
Look around that site, they have a setup that straps to the headrests and sits in it's own bag between the seats. There are several companies that sell the bag style theater also. Too bad it doesn't pop popcorn for ya.

SledZep
10-06-2002, 07:02
You know for just a little more you could just buy a laptop with DVD and an A/C adapter. Great movies and games, plus it's a PC so it has many other uses. Depending on your kids ages they can use it for school work and stuff like that too.
That is the route I am thinking of taking when the need comes up. Plus the screen is probably going to be much bigger than on those units.

01_Duramax_Dually
10-06-2002, 22:30
Well, thanks for the responses

Sledzep: I have been using my laptop SONY Vaio with 15.1 screen for awhile. It works great but bounces around alot when I am towing my trailer. I want something hands free and really liked the wireless headphones.
I have sat in my friends Tahoe with a roof mount style and it was not bad and his had the 4.5 screen and lousy speakers and no head phones.
From the appearance of this it hangs down about 9inches and appears to be ergonomic friendly. I really liked Mdrag's set up but do not want to bring my own DVD and worry about kicking it around(3 kids in back seat they get prett restless plus I load alot of stuff under the seats for them) and like the center area free for wife to travel towards the back plus I have the LS with the 40/20/40 front as I routinely have 6 in my truck...

Matt: The set up that I was quoted was $799 which includes complete roof mount screen with speakers, DVD system and 2 wireless headsets.
Seems pretty staright forward and the install looks very easy.

Jelisfc
10-07-2002, 07:50
I'll be putting in an Audiovox 8" overhead unit after my truck arrives. It has an integral DVD player and wireless headphones. The wife's Olds Silhouette Premiere van has the factory video setup. Last summer we traveled 3500 miles in 9 days. Hardly ever heard a peep from the kids. Can't imagine not having one now. If you travel a lot go for the permanently mounted system. We started with a portable system. Functionally it works great but the convinience and extra room make it worth it.