PDA

View Full Version : Drain thing?

Burner
11-26-2002, 12:39
I was at Wally World yesterday and saw somthing. In the "automotive" section, they have a "quick-drain" system made by fram. I was wondering if someone has seen or used this system? I really like the way it is used. There is no "valve" to get ripped off or hung up. :rolleyes:

Just wanted a little input.
May all of us have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. :D

Burner

snowmo
11-26-2002, 13:05
Had one for my car - note the had part. Tossed it during the first oil change. If I had left it on I'd still be there waiting for the oil to drain :(

Diesel to the MAX
11-26-2002, 16:40
I have and use one. It will take about 5 min. to drain, but other then that it has been working fine. I have been using for about 10,000 miles with three oil changes. No leakes the last time I checked.

snowmo
11-27-2002, 12:55
Diesel to the Max - you must of had better luck than I had. When it was so slow I took it off to make sure everything looked correct but still only a slow trickle. Maybe the wire that opens the valve wasn't engaging properly or deep enough. Maybe I tossed it too quickly!

Diesel to the MAX
11-27-2002, 14:48
snomo, with fram who knows. ;)

It is a lot cheaper then the fmoto (or what ever it is called) so I gave it a try. When I change the oil, I always do it when the engine is at running temp. That might help as well.

Idle_Chatter
11-27-2002, 15:49
I have the Fumoto valve and really like it. I prefer not to have the engine up to temperature but rather to drain when it's been sitting overnight. My theory is that if you run it before a change, you've got the valve galleries and whole upper end full of old oil that you're not taking out and it will contaminate the new oil as well as "pre-loading" your new filter. It sure was a PITA waiting for that cold 15W40 to trickle out of the pan at 40 degrees last Sunday night! :( I have a halogen worklight, maybe it would be a good idea to put that sucker under the pan shining up for an hour or so before my next change (dang! I'm getting smarter all the time!) :D

HawgGuy
11-27-2002, 22:28
I have a fumoto valve. I drain hot so that all the solids are in suspension and leave with the oil. Then I let it drain overnight and in the morning change the filter when the engine is cold. I wrap a thick plastic bag around the now cold filter prior to removal so that any oil runoff gets collected.

Between the fumoto valve and the plastic bag around the filter - not a drop of oil makes it to my nice clean concrete garage floor. Works for me.

-bob

Burner
11-27-2002, 22:56
I remember a while back I had seen a "quick coupple" thing for the drain? Is that still made? I would love to have something like that. Heck, you could have a magnetic plug in there until you switched over to your drain hose? smile.gif All that with just a "quick-connect" system. :rolleyes:

If someone remembers this, send me an e-mail.

Thanks

Burner~~~~~~~~

Burner
11-28-2002, 23:07
Anyone?