PDA

View Full Version : Folding bedcover?

Tray B
08-15-2003, 08:13
I want to get a folding bedcover for my Dmax. I have seen the one that GM sells. Who sources/makes that for GM?

Anyone have experience with Fold-a-cover or Advance cover?

Thanks!

FlBob
08-15-2003, 08:58
I have the folding bed cover from GM. The nice part about it is that it has not leaked so far. However I do notice a little bit of noise coming from the bed area that was not there before. I have not pin pointed the problem yet. I have only had it for six weeks so I do have any info on long term. So far I am happy.

Bob

JMPDMax
08-15-2003, 09:56
The GM cover is made by Fold-A-Cover. I called them directly and they said they were the supplier and even informed me of a design change they were making (to a no-drill design). They even supplied me with the new GM part number for the redesigned cover. Anyway, when I was shopping for mine the new GM number was not active yet and there were no guarantees that by ordering with the old number that you would get the updated design.

I order mine from Southern Tier Cap World. They had the best price. Their website is Souther Tier Cap World (http://www.cap-world.com/)

Fold-A-Cover has a website also at Fold-A-Cover (http://www.foldacover.com/)

However, if you order on-line it will be shipped Pre-Paid Freight, usually by Yellow Frieght. When I received mine, it was damaged and I had to file a claim for repair. I was able to make it work and essentially got a $150 rebate from Yellow.

I would suggest looking into a local supplier first. You can call Fold-A-Cover and ask them to look one up in your area. Their number is on their website.

Later

-JP (re-newbied)

Wayne Dohnal
08-15-2003, 10:03
I have a Fold-a-Cover LS model and think it's great. It looks good, is easy to work, and blocks all but a few drops of water in heavy rain. I have noticed vibration but have been able to fiddle with things to get rid of it. The only caution I'd make is that you need a certain amount of height and strength to work it. No problem for me at 6 feet even, but I don't think my wife would ever be able to fully open it.

If you tow a 5th wheel there are 2 other drawbacks. (1) If you use an aftermarket tailgate you lose the tailgate locking feature, and (2) With my configuration of crew cab and fairly-low hitch, the fully-folded cover blocks the view of the top of the hitch. Fortunately I'm able to prop up the front of the folded cover and see the top of the hitch under it, or I'd be hosed. If my hitch was really high it would be no problem. If I had a different cab or short bed the situation might be different. But if my hitch were a little bit higher I'd never be able to see it through the cover.

HD-Nate
08-15-2003, 10:16
Hmmm,

You guys have my curiosity peaked on this one!

Does anyone have the GM part # for this yet???

I did not find a price listing on the Fold a Cover site, what do they run?

Leaks??? Looks like the seams would leak, any problems?

Noise from bouncing up and down or do they?

Thanks,
Nathan

JMPDMax
08-15-2003, 12:19
Of course, mine was slightly damaged and did leak a little. But a little black silicone solved that problem.

Anyway, ordering from Cap-World, I paid $593 ($507 for cover, $86 freight). The model number is GM4802 (short bed).

blowinsmoke
08-15-2003, 13:29
I had a Pace Edwards roll top and locking tail gate on my old Ram.. I was so impressed with it I will be putting one on the D/A as soon as I can afford it.. - You don't have to worry about height as the roll top pan is pretty much flat with the bed. The only problem is the depth, you only have about 4" to 5" from the bed to the bottom of the roll top container, oh and you have to drill two holes for the drain tubes. It looks to be about the same price as the fold top - You may want to check it out..

http://www.paceedwards.com/rolltop.asp

Pete

Desert Diesel
08-15-2003, 13:34
The new LS model is a great design, far better than the Advance cover. I have had my cover for about 2 years now and it still looks and works like new. I leave moving blankets in the bed of my truck for hauling cargo and they have never gotten wet in 2 years.

The only problem with this product is the lack of stocking distributers. It took 3 deliveries before I received a cover that wasn't damaged by the trucking company.

By the way $507.00 + freight is a great price.
Thats not a whole lot more than dealer cost.

[ 08-15-2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Desert Diesel ]

Tray B
08-15-2003, 17:58
What makes the Fold-a-cover better than the advance cover?

Thanks,

Desert Diesel
08-15-2003, 19:28
Tray,

For the Chevy at least the Fold-A-Cover LS (part# GM4801) mounting and latching system is of a higher quality and more ergonomically designed than the Advance. The tailgate latch is of such a clean design nobody realizes that the strip across the tailgate is part of the cover. It may just be plastic but it is extremely strong and adheres better than anything I

Tray B
08-15-2003, 20:26
David,

Thanks for the info! Detailed and to the point. Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!

jbplock
08-15-2003, 20:57
Another option is the RETRAX (http://www.rolltopcover.com/). I had a Pace Edwards Roll-Top on my 98 Dually and it was nice but the RETRAX is even better. Easy to install with no-drilling, very rugged and well built. (Got mine from JK (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)) smile.gif

BlueTank
08-16-2003, 01:36
Desert Diesel,

Thanks for the details on the fold a cover. Several more questions.

Are the cover segments easy to remove and install?

How much hardware is left on the front and side bed rails when removed.?

I am asking because I need to load my slide-in camper occasionally and would also like a cover when the camper is not in place.

Thanks

Galen

Richard Pelletier
08-16-2003, 07:41
Retrax is a great product!

Desert Diesel
08-16-2003, 09:17
Blue Tank,

The cover segments remove as one piece. It takes just a few minutes.
If I remember correctly you just loosen 2 Allen screws on each side and lift off.

With the cover removed you only have 4 items left in place. The 2 C-clamps/Hinge brackets that are removed by loosening 2 Allen screws each and the 2 extruded cover guides that sit on the bed rails. The cover guides are held in place by double sided foam adhesive tape and 3 small clamps that hook into the stake pockets.

I see no reason why you couldn