PDA

View Full Version : Brake Controller

Bill Knieper
11-22-2002, 15:43
When my 03 comes in I am thinking about upgrading my controller. I have used Kelsey and Pullrite and have been reasonable satisfied. Is the Tekonsha Prodigy or others significantly better. I pull a 10,000 lb 2axle 5th wheel.
Thanks

trout49
11-22-2002, 16:20
I used Kelsey and changed to Prodigy and yes there is a difference. The Prodigy is far superior in my opinion,once you get it adjusted.
Some here prefer the Jordan over the Prodigy. But I'm happy with what I have. I too pull about 10,000lbs. It feels like the truck and trailer are one vehicle when you stop. I think it's worth the money.

KompressorMan
11-22-2002, 16:43
The Jordan is the Valentine V1 of Brake controllers. I've had all the rest, this is great. Easy install too!!!
Herb

Turbo Al
11-22-2002, 19:59
Just going to move you over to accessories.

ct0218
11-22-2002, 21:01
I've used a Jordan Ultima 2020 for over 3 years now and have put one in my 2003 3500. Direct connection to the brake pedal--proportional. To me thats better than inertia type or the electronics trying to figure out how hard you're breaking.

stolley
11-24-2002, 00:33
I'm at 2 years with the Jordan and still impressed! Costs a bit more but worth every penny. Try it and you'll never go back. Here's the link:
http://www.jordanbrake.com

LarryM
11-24-2002, 08:53
The Prodigy/Jordan discussions are similar to K&N/Amsoil discussions; mostly brag, little fact. At the risk of opening up a big can of worms, I'm going to ask some questions for both types of users.

I've been using Voyagers for the last nine years of towing with no complaints. I would not be upgrading if I didn't need a controller that could handle a three axle trailer now.

I tow about everything except RV's. The loaded/unloaded weight ratios may be as high as 4 to 1. This normally requires a great deal of fiddling with the controller to compensate. Are either of these controllers smart enough to figure this out on their own?

Swapping between trailers, especially 1 to 2 to 3 axles, requires fiddling. Either of these controllers smart enough to figure out a 3 or 4 to 1 change in brake magnet current?

When dragging a big trailer through the snow and ice, it's nice to have some trailer braking before tow vehicle braking. My Voyager does this, except I have little control over how much braking. I know that the Prodigy also does this, but I don't know how much control you have. How about the Jordan? Is there enough adjustment range on that cable arrangment to start braking before the brake lights even come on?

Thanks for any input.

dmaxstu
11-24-2002, 09:34
With the Jordan there is no fiddling you will soon know how many amps each trailer uses and drive one block to adjust it to each, after that no more adjustment untill the brake shoes wear and you have to adjust them. The Jordan has a digital ampmeter.
When you pull the same trailer all the time you set it and forget it, also when finished towing just unhook the cable from the brake pedal and the controller is completely switched off.
The controller is energised by pushing the brake pedal and not because of some resultant cosequence like inertia.
I have driven in stop and go commute traffic while towing and you don't even know you're towing a trailer so far as braking is concerned.
In order to have trailer braking ahead of tow vehicle braking you could perhaps crank up the amps going to the trailer that might have that effect. However I would be more inclined to use the brake button on the controller.The unit applies the trailer brakes proportionately even on ice and snow.
Stu

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

stolley
11-24-2002, 23:42
My advice to anyone who needs more info on the Jordan is to call Jordan himself, because that's who you get when you call the 800#. One conversation with the man will impress you... he's no B.S. I feel the range of control with the dial is very wide, although after I set it to where I liked it I've never had to touch it again. Hey, we all bought into a new (and better) designed diesel... why wouldn't you try the same in a controller?

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: stolley ]</p>

pitboss
11-24-2002, 23:56
Be sure to get the Jordan ULTIMA. Jordan also makes one called the ACTUATOR and it is not proportional. Many shops like to install the Actuator because it's simple and cheap. The Ultima costs about twice as much, but is 10 times the unit. I've talked to Jordan (yeah, great guy) and he says he wishes he could stop making the Actuator altogether.

Husker Fan
11-25-2002, 08:52
Jordan is the best. I run two different types of trailers (8

letsgo
11-25-2002, 12:02
Different strokes for different folks.

Phone each of the manufacturers of the product you are considering, ask the questions that are brought up in this forum.

I believe Jordan will logically top the other products, I like it.

You also need to see the Jordan, there is a LCD read-out that is also good for diagnostics, seeing is believing.

good luck