PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio console 10" sub.

MAV
08-13-2003, 17:03
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/silverado_consol.html#
Anybody got one of these? Opinons?

I have the under seat storage box in my EC so that space is void.

Could someone built a down firing .6 cubic box that fits all the way up front under the center console? Like from the firewall back to under the cup holders?

Kennedy
08-13-2003, 22:11
Try Doug www.auto-d.com (http://www.auto-d.com)

doug@auto-d.com

He's pretty up on J&L

MAV
08-14-2003, 01:43
Thanks John. Will look him up when I get there. I'll be beating on your door in under 2 weeks I hope.

BlueOx03
08-14-2003, 18:21
J&L? Never heard of them, must be a third world knock off of the Florida based company JL Audio.
I've been installing JL products for about five years now and if there's one thing I can tell you, it's that they make rock solid products. They put a ton of R&D into their products to get the best sound and in the case of stealthboxes, fit as well. Because of the dimensions of the console a 10" sub is the biggest that will fit well. The 10W3V2-D2 is a well built sub and will produce plenty of clear bass. Power it with a JL 250/1 amp and you're set. As far as stuffing a different sub in there...if there is in fact .6 of a cube of useable air in there, I recommend the 10W6V2-D4 combined with a 500/1. If you chose to have a custom enclosure built for under the back seat I also recommend the W6V2. I'm not sure how much room is under there, but you should be able to run at least one or two 10", maybe one or two 12". I've worked with these subs a lot and they are, in my opinion, the best subs JL makes for sealed enclosure applications. For power I recommend a 500/1 for each sub. If you run with two subs you can easily run the 1000/1, but the 500/1 gives you options for later. like if you want to put them in another truck or car or you decide to take one out. the options with car audio is only limited by imagination and money. Hope this helped,

TJ

chevmeister
08-14-2003, 18:58
blueox03
i have 2 JL 10w6. im going to build a box that fits behind the rear seat in my CC. what interior volume do I need for a sealed box? Ive had them for 2 or 3 years now and I cant find any info on them any more. Do you happen to know? If I remember its very small but I dont remember what it requires. Im going to put bout 150-200w to each at 3 ohm.

BlueOx03
08-14-2003, 20:11
The 10W6 requires .4-.8 cubic feet per sub. For this year they changed the name to W6AE The AE denoting Anniversary Edition. The only changes are in the looks, so all the specs are the same. You can get the spec sheet for the 10W6AE on JL's site. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you all the info you'll need to build a good box.

TJ

[ 08-14-2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: BlueOx03 ]

Silver Bullet
08-15-2003, 09:20
Meister,
Check out jlaudio.com (http://www.jlaudio.com/) for the specs for your sub and the12volt.com (http://www.the12volt.com/) (volume calculators, Wedge 2) to help calculate box demisions.

Check your mounting depth...I have 1 10w0 and it was a tight fit with my box.

I got exactly what I wanted with my system...sounds great in the cab, but you won't hear me coming down the street! :D

Good luck!

Kennedy
08-15-2003, 09:30
Mav,

I've also got Doug looking into making 1 cf sealed enclosure for behind the seat of my crew cab for 2 Peerless 10" drivers. These drivers only require .5cf ea, and mount at a relatively shallow 4.2" depth.

Not sure where the JL stuff is actually made, but the Europeans (Peerless etc) know how to make some HIGH quality stuff...

BlueOx03
08-15-2003, 10:56
When it comes to subs, hands down the best ones are designed and built in this wonderful country we are so blessed to live in. JLs subs and amps are built in Florida and Arizona. The evolution components are made in Germany.

Can you smell the hypocrisy?

TJ

MAV
08-15-2003, 14:38
Unfortunatly I have an EC truck. Not enough room behind the seat of an extended cab to put subs. The under seat storage box takes up all the space under the rear seat. The console stealth box requires butchering the inside of the console and removing the rear AC ducts. The last place I can think of is under the drink holder and forward. Is a .6 cubic box able to be built in that space? Just want (1) 10" sub.

Last resort would be use half of the under seat storage box for a sub enclosure and use the other half for tools and spare filters.
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL227/437876/777914/9188833.jpg
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL227/437876/777914/9188838.jpg

BlueOx03
08-15-2003, 15:08
Mav- it looks as though you may have to butcher something. I think the easiest thing to do would be to make an enclosure that will fit inside the tool box, downfireing, then cut a slot port at the bottom of the front of the tool box. I plan to gut my console of all but the storage compartment and cup holders to put in a 10W6V2. I don't plan on sitting in the back so I'm not too worried about the A/C back there. I'm working on hashing out the possibility of putting two 10W6s behind the seat of chevmeister's truck amongst other things now, but when I get time I'll explore the console a little more and let you know what I come up with.

TJ

chevmeister
08-16-2003, 22:15
BlueOx03 is the man! i emailed him and he gave me some good tips, told me how to build the box, and even offerd to build it for me cheap. never denying the opprotunity to play with my power tools im building it myself, but i do appreciate all the good advice.
thanks TJ

03BlueHD
08-18-2003, 10:38
Mav,

If you were willing to go the extra step, you could easily fit a 10" sub in the lower portion of the rear doors on your extended cab. The enclosure would have to be custom built, but it may be worth it.

BlueOx03
08-18-2003, 15:20
Dang Blue, you stole my thunder on that one. I wanted to take a peak inside a buddy

BlueOx03
08-18-2003, 15:24
03BlueHD- How much fun is it to take those 4x4 decals off? Was it just heat and peel, or do they break up and leave adhesive all over?

03BlueHD
08-18-2003, 15:28
Ox,

I know that it worked on a 95 extended, but that was before the door opened, don't see what would be there now that would be in the way. The door would need to be fiberglassed, and then sealed, could definately be done.

Used to compete and the shop we worked with, the owner, had done it to his truck. Came out sweeeeeet. 10W6 in about .5-.6 cubes, fiberglass enclosure, custom grille, never could tell it was there.

Once you are willing to go custom the skys the limit.

03BlueHD
08-18-2003, 15:31
Originally posted by BlueOx03:
03BlueHD- How much fun is it to take those 4x4 decals off? Was it just heat and peel, or do they break up and leave adhesive all over? 4x4 decals were easy, never even heated them, just did it on a warm day. The tailgate logos are another story, they really broke my balls on this truck, but ended up getting them off too.