PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel/Gooseneck wiring harness install question

deere2
08-12-2003, 17:49
I have the 5th wheel/Gooseneck wiring harness (UY2)(PN 15072794) and have installed it on my truck. I now need to install the female adapter on the truck and am going to put it on the drivers side in back of the wheel well in the square indentation. My question is what is the best way to seal the cut edges of the 2" hole and the four screw holes before the final install of the 7 blade RV female coupler using Stainless Steel self taping screws. I want it to be as rust proof as possible.

Thanks

Tom

dmaxalliTech
08-12-2003, 18:09
I suppose you could do it a few different ways..

Use a high quality silicone sealer, clear would be best I suppose incase of squeeze out. You could also, if you can get to it, use some rubberized undercoating on the backside and on the bare metal. Mask off so that it dont get where it will be visable.

Most expensive solution--Line-X the bed after the cut and before you install it :D

AbqGeorge
08-12-2003, 20:32
You're funny dmaxalliTech,

That's exactly what I did..... well, not quite. I Rhino'ed mine ;)

Another thing I do with those @#$%^& Bargman connectors is to totally fill the back shell with a marine grade of silcone. On vehicles I've owned that put 12 volts on the battery charge line at all times, if any moisture gets in the back, electrolysis starts up immediately and destroys the connector in about 3 years.