PDA

View Full Version : PMD/FSD Questions Please help

Philsky
11-18-2005, 17:04
I am currently fighting with the dealership over warranty issues on my Stanadyne Injection Pump. My 1996 Suburban just turned 119,100 miles on my odometer and it started acting up. I refered them to the warranty info on the diesel page telling them how this is all covered. They said first they have to change the PMD which is not covered at will cost me 668 dollars. I read them the Bulletin word for word and said the FSD is covered as part of it. they told me that the PMD and FSD aren't the same part, I am pretty sure it is from reading this site can any one help me out.

Keep up the good work

rjschoolcraft
11-18-2005, 19:53
It is the same part. It is covered. I would suggest that you go to a different dealer if possible. You should also get GM on the line to explain the situation to them. GM will not replace just the FSD. It will be a new pump with new driver as a unit.

DmaxMaverick
11-19-2005, 10:22
This happens a lot, and it translates into some dealers opting to sell you service and parts, rather than performing a recall action for less profit for them. If they perform service in accordance with the TSB, the pump and driver will be replaced as a single unit. The bulletin allows no accomodation for replacement of either part without the other. According to the bulletin, and Stanadyne, a failed PMD is a failed pump.

The PMD and FSD are the same part. Both are FSD, but if it is mounted in the OEM location, it is called a PMD, only because of where it is located, on the pump. FSD is just the general term for the function of the part.

Stick to your guns and demand the dealer perform the service in accordance with the GM mandated bulletin. The dealer will still get paid, but just not to a level of inflation they are probably accustomed to.

MikeC
11-19-2005, 19:15
PMD = pump mounted driver
FSD = fuel solenoid driver

As others have said, name depends on mounting location.

Also warranty can be determined by dealer. My local dealer replaced the fuel shut of solenoid as a separate piece under the warranty.

Mike