PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck ball

ochster
11-02-2003, 09:01
Did a little search, but could not find much on a particular brand.

I would like to install the strongest gooseneck hitch I can find. So far my searches have led me to a brand named "una-goose". Aside from thier own advertisement, I can find no public feedback to back it up. The mounting platform they show, certainly appears very stout compared others.

Can anyone enlighten me, or confirm this products worth?

Thank You!

Burner
11-02-2003, 13:30
ochster,

I have the B&W style Goose. I think that the pin is rated for 7k and the load for 25 or 30k. Either way, I'll pull the frame before the system breaks. You only have a 2500.... don't go crazy with a heavy load. Give B&W a look, post search, and see what you copme up with.

My .02 cents.....

Burner-----> :D

Burner
11-02-2003, 13:31
--BTW.... What do you plan on pulling? Would you want a 5th wheel set-up in the future?

ochster
11-02-2003, 19:20
Looking at many of these hitches, I'm surprised at thier rating. Seem to be rather plain angle iron erector sets. I'm a sucker for over engineered trinkits, atleast ones I can afford.

My trailer will be near 13,000lbs., and be pushing the published limits of the truck ..I know.

Converting to a fifth wheel, would only be for resaleability.

jtegland
11-02-2003, 19:53
I'll also recommend B&W.

John

Burner
11-03-2003, 00:03
I had asked about the 5th wheel because the B&W goose can be fitted with a "non-bolting" 5th wheel. It's really a nice set-up. SDaver just got one for his truck. What is soo nice is that the bed stays clean and smooth when it's not needed. When you do need it, it takes about 5 minutes to check it in. When you're done you can leave it attatched to the neck of the trailer or the truck, it's your call. If you'er worried about the weight, don't. There are wayyyy too many Lawyers that would love to sink their teeth into "product litigation" on fautly hitches. B&W knows that and over builds for that reason.

Burner--------> :D

Coghlin
11-03-2003, 05:09
I was also looking at that 5th wheel setup from B&W. It keeps the bed real clean. I do not want to bolt a set of rails in my bed. Anyone want to chime in with some comments.

www.turnoverball.com (http://www.turnoverball.com)

jcummins
11-03-2003, 06:42
I like the idea...except I have the short bed. I could not get away without a slider hitch. Some say you don't need the slider hitch if you are careful, but I wouldn't want to do it, in fact couldn't do it. I've already gotten into several tight situations that would have been impossible without the slider.

skidsteer loader
11-03-2003, 07:30
B@W site is www. turnoverball.com Fantastic hitch, easy to install, the ONLY way to go.

Burner
11-03-2003, 17:23
The adaptor fiver for the B&W has a sliding system.

jcummins
11-04-2003, 03:39
Burner you sure? I went to the web site, even looked at the install instructions. Doesn't look like a slider hitch to me.

jcummins
11-04-2003, 03:40
Burner you sure? I went to the web site, even looked at the install instructions. Doesn't look like a slider hitch to me.

ryeguy
11-04-2003, 11:43
Got a Hijacker, pretty happy with it.

http://www.hijacker.com/

--Rob

Burner
11-04-2003, 16:36
Ok, I do not use the the fiver, the Goose ball works just fine. However, I watched them mount SDavers. The whole thing can be moved forward about 2 inches and rearward about 4-6". There are some bars that you move and lock in place. I think these bars can be reversed to give you more rear sliding room. The system does not slide on outside tracks, they are inside the system. The B&W does not bolt to the bed or have "tracks" mounted in the bed.

Burner----> :D

Rilo
11-06-2003, 07:06
Check out www.popuphitch.com. (http://www.popuphitch.com.) It's very nice.

a bear
11-09-2003, 18:29
I am using the B&W turnover ball and companion fifth wheel hitch on my short bed. The fifth wheel hitch has 3 positions forward and aft and 3 positions up and down. The adjustments are made by rebolting the pivot arms to a different set of holes. The load needs to be removed for adjustment so once you find the ideal spot it usually stays there. This is a quality hitch with a built in shock absorber and poly bushings for a smooth noise free tow. And yes it does leave a completely smooth bed when not in use. It is rated at 30K gooseneck and 18K fifth wheel. I have pics if anyone would like to have a look.

mtomac
11-13-2003, 21:40
http://www.antiquetractorpulling.com/images/UniGooseHitch1.JPG

The Unagoose hitch is rated at:
5,000 lb. Lift
10,000 lb. Load
40,000 lb. Braking & Towing

and tested to:
10,000 lb. Lift
20,000 lb. Load
60,000 lb. Braking & Towing

I regularly tow 13000-19000# (32' enclosed trailer with one or two tractors inside) with a unagoose hitch. I actually just bought a second one for another truck because I like the hitch so much. I can get you one with either a 2 5/16" ball or a 3" ball for $425 + shipping if you're interested

[ 11-13-2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]

DMAXMO
11-15-2003, 05:06
Ochster,
I have the B&W turnover ball hitch in my shortbed D/A. The hitch is well designed with heavy steel spacers between the truck frame and the bed floor that the hitch center section bolts to. The center section is heavy made and well re-enforced with welded in gussets. The installation kit is complete with clear instructions. I installed the kit myself with a buddy helping and it is a good Saturday afternoon project. The hardest part is drilling that 4" hole in the bed floor. It's hard to trust :rolleyes: the instruction sheet that tells you where to locate the hole, but the measurement B&W's instruction said to use was exact.
I have hauled some fairly heavy equipment without as much as a wiggle. :D Turn the ball over and you have your bed floor back.
:cool: Darrell

ochster
11-15-2003, 10:19
Thanks for all the reply's...I actually have the unagoose.

ochster
11-23-2003, 17:20
I installed the una-goose hitch today. I will say, it was much more of a job than I anticipated. But once installed, it is as structually solid as any part of the entire truck. Being it is basically a solid piece, you have to remove the spare, shocks, and lower the exhaust. I also removed the rear tires, and you have to cut a piece out of a heat shield. Even doing this, it is a physical workout manuevering the 60lb. piece into position, locating with clamps, and drilling eight 1/2 inch holes. It took me about 6 hours, casually doing it.

conway
11-24-2003, 12:29
Micheal Tomac Member#7393:
I am interested in obtaining a unagoose. Can you help me? It would need to be shipped to Hawaii. My email is ssword@maui.net.

Mahalo,
Michael Conway