PDA

View Full Version : Electric Tailgate Lock 2, DMAX Daddy 0

DMAX Daddy
06-01-2003, 18:02
Okay, I actually won this round, but....

This is about the 20th time I have had the tailgate apart to find out why the lock was not working. To make a long story short, the cheesy little motor in the lock mechanism has some very iffy electrical connections.

I had my Fluke and some buddies Flukes at several points along the way. Every time the shot from the remote got TO the motor, but it didnt fire every time. A real PITA if you need the tailgate down and you can not get it open!

I tried the Bully but it opens easily with not too difficult a pull even when locked. I guess Chevy whittled down some of the tailgate mechanism metal and it doesnt hit my 03 in the right spot to keep it from opening all the time. This was confirmed by a local camper dealer who said "Its the first one I've seen that didnt work".

Im looking for another tailgate lock again. Ill let you know if I find one that works!

Tinbender
06-01-2003, 22:02
Dmax Daddy,

This is the lock I've had on my 02 for almost 18 months now with no problems. I also had the same brand on a F*%d for almost 7 years. (The lock was no problem)
http://www.central4wd.com/store/default.asp?ParentID=2349

Hope it helps. Hate to see tailgate lock 3 Dmax Daddy 0

Bob

Hound
06-01-2003, 22:09
Tinbender, That's the same one that I have and I had to lube it just recently as the metal loop wouldn't quite go up and block the arm that the tailgate rod hooks to. A little white lithium grease and the thing works like a champ again. smile.gif

DMAX Daddy
06-02-2003, 01:34
Aye, thats the one I have. It works great IF it works. There is no rhyme or reason to it not working.

Before I totally toss it away I will either replace the motor or figure out a way to make sure it doesnt lose its contact.

RichBailey
06-02-2003, 08:44
I have that same lock and have had no problems. But...the design is very poor in that solenoid is mounted at the end of a flat bar. This causes the mechanism to bounce and vibrate everytime the tailgate is closed.

When I initially installed the lock I just couldn't stand the twanggggg sound when the tailgate was closed. Also figured that it wouldn't be good for longterm durability.

I fixed the problem by putting a 1/4-20 nutsert in the flat bar, drilling the inside of the tailgate (in a recessed rib), cutting an appropriate thickness spacer from a piece of 1/2" copper pipe, and assembling all of the above.

No the lock mechanism does not move when the tailgate is closed. No problems.

IMO, you need to replace your current lock and do the above mods. Or use a Bulldog lock with a key.

DieselDixon
06-02-2003, 11:29
I'm interested in getting one of these. Where on the truck do you tap into the electrical system to make it work?

Also after all the problems I'm reading should I look at something else?

Thanks

DMAX Daddy
06-02-2003, 12:04
I would highly recommend one, I think I just got a tempremental one.

I tapped into the wires in the fuse panel on the drivers door side. Even better, I tapped into the ones so it doesnt unlock unless I press the remote twice, like the passenger doors.

I think I might take Rich Bailey's advice and buy a new one, and secure it so it doesnt bounce as much. Or I might take the one I have completely apart and rework the connections. I used to rebuild RC car motors, this cant be that different.

DieselDixon
06-02-2003, 14:02
DMAX,

Do you mind if I ask which wire/fuse that was?

DMAX Daddy
06-05-2003, 14:13
The directions have the correct wires listed.

The blue/black wire from the lock goes to the tan wire.

The green wire goes to the grey wire.

There are 2 of each grey/tan wire, I got lucky on the right one to use for the unlock part of it.

mike.morris
06-18-2003, 07:14
I also have this lock on my '03 CC. Had one on my '99 gasser and it worked great. The new one had fits of ignorance shortly after I installed it. It was doing the same things DaddyDmax has described. I didn't have time to tear into the tailgate all the time, but I did check the electricals and all of the connections I had to make were right. After about 3 months of dealing with the intermittent locking or not locking, it sort of fixed itself. I thought it might have been a ground issue, but I didn't dig into it too much. The interesting thing about the '03s is that they lock when put into gear where the '99 did not. Hopefully the new one will not wear out too early. Don't know if this helps, but this is the experience I have had with these locks.

DMAX Daddy
06-18-2003, 10:30
Actually since I put it back in it has worked perfectly. Maybe Jamming the meter leads into the little motor in an attempt to spread the contacts out worked. :confused: :confused:

Tinbender
06-27-2003, 21:47
DMAX Daddy, I guess I should not have read your post or answer it. On a fishing trip two weeks ago the tailgate lock started to act up intermittently. Thought it was the electrical connections. Finally it gave out completely, of course in the locked position. So on the lake shore I removed the lock assembly.

When I got home I started to trace the wires, good connections and power at the motor assembly. Being out of warrenty, and enquiring minds need to know I openned the plastic case, the plastic carrier for the gear pivot was worn and broken. I made a new one from aluminum and reassembled it and reinstalled. It's working good now, but for how long. I reprogramed the locks not to lock every time the truck is put in gear. That might help. I was very dissappointed as to how cheesy the moter assembly was made.

The problem was not electrical as it seemed, just a intermitted mechanical jam.

Just some more Information if you have problems again

Bob