PDA

View Full Version : Century Truck caps

keywest
10-28-2003, 19:42
Hi guys,
Dealer is supposed to tell me FRIDAY what my build week is for my ordered Silverado CC SB D/A..It's been really tough for me not to call & pester...
I am interested in a Cap for the bed..
A friend w/a 2500 HD got a Century Ultra & it looks really nice. They have come a longgg way. This one's guaranteed for life supposedly.
Anybody have any experience with this brand???
I tow a Travel Trailer not a 5'er so it would give me a lot more room for stuff..
Thanks guys, Paul

P.S.
I've been "waitin" since Oct.15'th for this build date....Is this time frame normal?? Guess I'm just too impatient But I heard about Dealers earning Allocations for a Diesel & I'm concerned about his having one..???Hope so.

Idle_Chatter
10-29-2003, 07:06
Keywest, I have a Century Ultra on my truck. I bought and installed it about a month after purchasing the truck. It has good quality and value for the dollar. There are some minor "fit & finish" issues, like the interior framing for he front window being overlapped at the bottom, but nothing that has detracted from the operation, fit, or tightness of the cap. Mine has shifted slightly to the rear in two years of use and is extruding the gaskets at the rear corners a bit. I plan to lift it off soon to get my right rear fender repaired and then regasket and reset it for Winter. You can see some pictures in my link below.

Ned
10-30-2003, 07:35
Key West:
I have Century Ultra Cap with side windows that raise and they really help; you don't have to alway get into the bed to get stuff out just reach in and get it. They cost $75.00 ea extra though. I have had other brands and looked at others and this one is as good as any. Hope this helps.
Ned

keywest
10-31-2003, 16:27
Hey guys what a great idea, the side windows can open!!!
I was wondering how I could access a Transfer Tank in the bed with a CAP on the bed...
Great Idea, You could probably reach the fill cap I'll bet???
Thanks, Paul

Ned
10-31-2003, 18:21
Keywest:
Thats why I brought the lift side windows, because I have a 50 gal tank in the rear. I have an electric pump with a filter and hose; stop and fill the truck from the side windows. Also makes it easy to load and unload the bed or get stuff out. Perfect for work or play.
Ned

Idle_Chatter
11-01-2003, 03:33
The side windows in my Century are sliders. I cobbled up a through the cap filler arrangement using a chassis-cab filler neck. I just popped my cap off for the first time in two years yesterday so I can get some body work done next week. The tops of the rails looked pretty good. I've contacted the local Line-X shop and will be getting my rails sprayed before the cap goes back on.

keywest
11-01-2003, 18:32
ThanksGuys, Alot of brilliant ideas, now I can ponder new ways of extra fuel in a whole new light.
Thanks, Paul tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Burner
11-02-2003, 14:13
I just happened accross this and thought I would mention "Fumes" in an inclosed area. I would think that anything under the cap would smell like Diesel.

Burner------> smile.gif

Idle_Chatter
11-02-2003, 18:34
Not a problem, Burner. Had my aux tank under my cap for nearly two years. The standard filler neck on the tank has a sealing cap like a radiator cap. I installed a 2" rollover plate that is plumbed with fuel-grade rubber fittings and 2" aluminum tube to a chassis cab filler neck mounted to the wall of my cap. The chassis cab filler and OEM fuel cap only vents inward, and is outside the cap. The tank vent hose is clamped to the filler neck near the fill cap to vent during filling. No fumes.