PDA

View Full Version : PERMANETLY mounting canopies

James S
09-22-2002, 16:00
Hey Folks,

I am still deciding on a canopy for my GMC 2500HD crew cab long box. I want to get one that mounts PERMANENTLY, NOT clamp on. I have had a clamp on fly off on me going seventy miles an hour down the highway! I am buying this truck and intend to keep it for the rest of my life if possible, given routine maintainance and upkeep. I am finding that ARE, RAIDER and Snugtop are all clamp on. Is this correct? The only one I am finding that is permanently mounted on, are Leer canopies. I also need one that is water proof, [as much as possible] given I am going to be hauling cabinets and millwork in the truck everyday. For that reason, I am going to get the BEDRUG bed liner as well. I have talked to a couple of you about the Leer 122 canopy and like it for the room it offers, but am a little concerned about the loss of [from what I have been told by the Leer company] two to three miles per gallon. i am going to put Michelin 265/75R16 M/S tires on, so that will allow me to get one mile per gallon, back. So I will still loose one to two miles per gallon, with that particular canopy on, given it sticks up about six or seven inches over the cab. What other permanently mounted canopies can you recommend, which still offer lots of room in terms of height, but do not affect fuel milage. Will I have to go with a cab high canopy to overcome this problem? If so, what cab high canopy, still offers me lots of room, but is permanently mounted, and as water proof or tight, AS POSSIBLE. The water proff issue is the most important thing. If the LEER 122, is the most water proof, I will get it, and just bite the bullet interms of fuel milage losses. Please respond as soon as possible, as i have to get my canopy by this coming Friday, and my dealership is putting it on, along with the bedrug, Michelin tires, Deezee stainless steel elite running boards and mud flaps, and stainless box rail caps, tail gate protector and bulkhead cap protector. One more question, will the rail caps and tail gate and bulkhead cap protectors, interfere with the seal of the canopy, and does the canopy come with rail protectors? If so, I will not get them. Thanks again for all answers.

James

Redhawk
09-22-2002, 16:35
It seems to me that you could bolt any camper shell to the rails of your truck, no matter how it comes from the factory. I would place some kind of reinforcement under the rails to make sure that the bed rails don't fracture. JMHO

gardnerteam
09-23-2002, 07:52
Redhawk is correct. You can bolt almost any canopy to make it a permanent installation. All you need is a good bottom seal. I have been using canopies on my trucks for Central America for years. I've literally destroyed everything but Leer. Leer did not make one for a 2002 CC, so I used a ARE this year. It is very poor quality, especially the rear door, and it took them 4 months to replace it. The replacement is WORSE - sides are buckled and it looks terrible. If the 3rd one ever arrives, and is still junk, I will go after money back. Service has been bad and quality has been worse. The newer Leers are not as good as the old ones, but they do now make one for a CC. The Raider we used one trip came apart. Never tried SNUG, but it looks like a well built top. I'd look at SNUG or Leer. Definately not ARE.