PDA

View Full Version : Cool Gadget

XLR8 2 DMAX
08-09-2003, 11:50
Found this on the internet. You can lower and raise your tailgate with a remote control (great for hitching and unhitching 5th wheel). You can also set it to auto, and it will lower automatically with speed of vehicle and raise back up as you come to a stop. They claim 5 to 10% increased in fuel economy. I don't know about that, but it would sure catch people's attention. Check it out with the link below.

TBC
08-09-2003, 20:54
Have read a test somewhere that lowering tailgate adds more drag than leaving it up. Air comes over cab and does some weird things around tailgate.

Tom

NickLeinonen
08-10-2003, 09:34
there were some wind tunnel test pictures of a truck [i think dodge. i can't remember for sure] with the smoke trails over it with the gate on, gate down, gate removed, tonneau cover on, camper shell on... i do remember though that the tailgate down had a smoother smoke trail than with the tailgate removed... they were on one of the big 3 diesel forums [i can't remember if it was on the tdr, or tds, or here-kinda doubt it was here though cause it's just recently that ubb came back avalable

Sneaks
08-10-2003, 12:06
I think I'd rather spend the $400 on a Predator to go with my Juice.

DMAX Daddy
08-10-2003, 15:53
I think it depends on the truck. I had a 1991 Short bed regular cab with the 4.3 and manual tranny and I got lots better mileage (2 to 3 mpg better) with the tailgate up. I had the info to prove it, before the truck got stolen....

Anyway, I think it varies trcuk type to truck type.