PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt in trailer wiring

buelldude
11-17-2002, 15:34
Hey,
So is there any other stuff(fuse)inline where the 12 volt goes besides the connector on the back of the truck and the fuse box???? I don't have anything at the back of the truck, I checked the fuse and after the fuse on the post and its at the post. Does it make a stop at the fifth wheel connection?

Diesel Freak
11-17-2002, 23:02
The 5th wheel connection is done at the rear of the truck by the receiver hitch. I just had the same problem you do and found that the plug was not fully inserted into the back of the 7 way receptacle. Try unplugging that connection and checking for power there, if still no power, then check where that plugs into the main harness by the spare tire, this is also where the 5th wheel plug connects. If still no power, you must have a broken wire, but I doubt that because it would most likely short out and the fuse would blow. Are you sure you are checking the correct fuse? On my '03 the fuse is at the front passenger corner of the fusebox. The fuse was not actually installed, I had to put it in.

Hope this helps!
Jerry

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: Diesel Freak ]</p>

buelldude
11-18-2002, 05:02
I have a 02, and the fuse is good. But if the book is right then I have the fifth wheel connection around the gas tank???? I looked for it last night and didn't see it, it was just a quick look. I checked the fuse, and at the post under the fuse box. I do have a red wire in my plug and I checked it with the plug pulled apart(at the rear). I have to look for this fifth wheel connector today after work, I don't think its a bad wire. Who knows at this point

Diesel Freak
11-18-2002, 09:26
My 5th wheel connection is bundled up and tied to the box underneath the fuel filler location. Are you using a meter, or a test light? Sometimes test lights can be a little funny if they don't have a good ground. Bottom left pin is the ground inside the trailer plug, connect to it when you're checking for power at the plug. I would also check at the connection up underneath by the spare tire.

buelldude
11-19-2002, 05:09
I did all this with a meter. I checked for 12v at the plug and at the back of the plug where the wires go in. I have been waiting for a dry day to get to the rest(the garage is full of bike stuff). I will check it today when I get done with work.

Maverick
11-19-2002, 23:55
So what your saying is that you don't have any power at the rear plug with the fuse in?

If so then check to see if the hot wire is connected to the stud UNDER-I repeat UNDER the under hood fuse panel. Most trucks that did NOT have a tow package didn't have this wire connected. I see you have a rear plug so I would assume you DO have a tow package but the General could have made a mistake and not connected your wire to the stud. This stud will be almost directly under the fuse used for 12v at the plug. I had my whole fuse panel off the drivers fender once and it was no big deal. There are alot of wires under there. Let me know if this helps.

buelldude
11-20-2002, 04:57
All is well now :rolleyes: I found the problem, can you say dumb a$$. When reading your books make sure your reading it right. If you read it fast and think it said post two(in the fuse box, post 2 is for something else)then you will flop out of water like a fish like I did. If you read it slow like I did the second time then you will see it says post 1(for pwr to the rear) not 2. I also didn't have a fuse in the slot, thinking that I would have that is why I checked post 2. Thanks for the help and I hope this made you smile(and say dumb A$$). I have a new trailer(8x14 enclosed) and needed lights. :rolleyes:

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: buelldude ]</p>

Diesel Freak
11-20-2002, 23:20
LOL, my first post stated the fuse at the forward passenger side corner of the fuse box ;) No harm, no foul, we all have brain farts!!!

Glad ya got it figgered out, happy towing! :D :D