PDA

View Full Version : Question about B&W Turnover hitch

DalDMax
05-29-2003, 08:23
I was getting my truck Linex'd and while waiting I noticed that they also sold and installed the B&W Turnover hitches. I started asking the guy some questions about the B&W and he mentioned that on Chevy trucks, they have to drill all of the mounting holes in the frame for this hitch :eek:
Anyone else have a longbed that has the B&W, how much drilling had to be done to install the thing?

Thanks
Adam

Silver Bullet
05-29-2003, 09:32
It was my understanding that holes had to be drilled in the bed, but existing holes were used to mount the hardware to the frame...on pre-2003.

Check for info at www.turnoverball.com

LarryM
05-29-2003, 10:25
There was no frame drilling required on my '01.......

Husker Fan
05-29-2003, 10:48
There is NO frame drilling on 2003s.

DalDMax
05-29-2003, 13:13
Thanks guys! I'll be getting one as soon as the ole bank account recovers a little. :cool:

lbrown
05-29-2003, 13:45
The only holes to drill were for the 4" hole in the bed of the truck. Did the install myself. Took about four hours. It helps to loosen the bed bolts on the right side and take the ones on the left side out. Raise the bed a couple of inches on the left side. It makes install alot easier. Word of caution, I printed the install inst. off of the web site. They said to measure 48.5 inches from the rear of the bed. When mine arrived the instructions said to drill a hole at 51 inches!
I calles Turnover Ball and they said that I must have gotten one the original kits before the change. Im glad something made me wait before drilling a 4" inch hole in the bed. I tow a 10,000# fifth wheel. Have been impressed with the whole system. I really like that there is nothing left in the bed when its removed.... Larry

SparkyTX
05-30-2003, 07:47
DalDMax: Shoot me an email (brian@lonestar4x4.org). I am curious where you were looking. I plan to install a B&W later this summer. If you do yours first, I would be glad to help so I can see what all is involved. Thanks!

KenZ
06-13-2003, 07:33
I too have been looking at he B&W turnover hitch. I called the factory and they tell me that you have to drill the frame on the 3/4 tons, but not on the 1 tons. Two 1/2 inch holes. He was really concerned when I said there were some post saying that no frame drilling was required.

Then I come across this article that says you will void your frame warranty if you drill the frame and that it will structurally weaken the frame. (due to hydroformed frame)Go To:

http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/tdr%20tow%20with%20new%20trucks.htm

Anyone got a thought on this? Will two 1/2 inch holes cause a problem?

If you are looking to buy, there is a dealer on EBAY selling the hitches for $259 plus shipping.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Ken

Husker Fan
06-13-2003, 07:46
I had my B&W installed by the dealer I that bought the truck from. The service manager told me they did not have to drill the frame... but maybe he was wrong.

As far as warranty, I have pretty much all of my aftermarket stuff (Except for the suspension airbags) installed by the dealer. I call the other places in town for prices, then call him, and if he's high, I tell him. They match any competitor's price, and do a great job. Plus, I don

Ironhead
06-13-2003, 08:21
HUSKER FAN,
You said "forget Firestone airbags. Firestone bags are mounted using the same holes as the B&W. I installed Airlift air bags (From John Kennedy)",
If you can see this pic I am trying to post, would you think the airlifts will fit here?

Sorry I cant seem to get it right. How do you guys make a pic show right up on the screen?

[ 06-13-2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Ironhead ]

SparkyTX
06-13-2003, 08:53
As I am planning to soon install a B&W, this warranty question concerned me. I just talked to the service manager at my delaership. He stated that drilling of the frame WILL NOT void the warranty. If so, there would be NUMEROUS rigs with voided warranty here in Texas! He also stated that he had no problem at all putting this in writing.

He also added that it is not uncommon for the dealership itself to have to drill the frame for some accessories that they install.

Husker Fan
06-13-2003, 10:27
Iron Head,

The airlift bags fit on top of the axle, in line with the leaf springs. You have to remove the rubber overload bumper. They bolt into the same holes that hold on that bumper, then mount on the axle. John Kennedy could help you out there more than I can. All I can tell you is that they work great. Next week, I have to load around 5000 #s of equipment (350 HP motor and 900 CFM screw compressor) in the truck, so I'll be using them again. I already had a load of dirt loaded into the truck, and it rode great.

I routed my air lines to my license plate, and mounted them there. Now, my license plate is held on by the schrader valves. It looks like I'm inflating my license plate!

KenZ
06-13-2003, 11:02
Huskerfan and Sparkytx

Thanks for your replies. I talked to the B&W people again and he assures me that you have to drill two holes on the 3/4 ton. He also said it doesn't affect the structural integrity because they are only drilling through one side of the frame. He said the main concern is if you were to drill through both sides and put a bolt through both sides and tighten it down to the point of deforming the frame.

Modified
06-13-2003, 11:57
I own a 2002 Chev 2500HD Long Box X-cab, with the B&W Turnover hitch. The side mounting plate for this hitch uses an existing one inch hole in the frame with a one inch bolt. I needed to drill one 1/2 inch hole on each side of the frame, after the hitch was in place. It was easy.
As far as the hydroform issue, from what a 2002 GMC Brochure says, our frames are built in three sections. The front section is hydroformed, the mid section is roll formed, and the rear section is stamped. The 1/2 inch holes I drilled for the hitch on my long box, X-cab 2500HD frame are in the rear stamped frame section.
I also install Air Lift Brand air bags with no problems, purchased from John Kennedy. The hardware looks nice, with no holes to drill for the install. These bags fit between the frame and the axil, (very ridgid), and not with a angle iron mount, fastened to the side of the frame, like you see in a lot of pictures.
I don't inflate my licence plate. I routed the two air lines to the frame, behind the driverside rear tire, in pre-existing holes. I routed the Schroeder valves through the double wall frame, through I believe #10 or 1/4 inch washers, which fit snug in the frame. These existing holes look like they were for different spring mounts, or for the overload springs on the 3500.
I usually inflate the bags with a manual air pump, so I thought the wheel well would have easier access than leaning under my fifth wheel camper with a pump if I would have mounted the Schroeders in the rear. I made up a one foot air line, with air checks on both ends, and a pressure gauge. I pump air in one bag at a higher than needed pressure, then install this short hose to both Schroeders, which equalizes and monitors pressure. I then bleed off air to the desired pressure.

Edit: I added "HD" to all references of 2500. The HD Frame is different than the LD Frame.

[ 06-15-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Modified ]

DMAXMO
06-26-2003, 17:44
I also installed a turnover ball hitch in my 2002 D/A Crew Cab short bed. Installation was straight forward following the B&W directions. It was difficult to make myself squeeze the trigger on the drill for the 4" hole in the bed, but I got over that after I saw how well the hitch fits the hole. The kit is very well designed and the crossmember fits the 4" hole perfectly. There are slotted holes to allow for some shifting of the mounting hardware if needed, but with a perfectly centered 4" hole the slots are centered on the bolts. The 1/2" holes are tough to drill in the hardened frame. I would recommend using a 1/2" transfer punch to create a center punch to drill a smaller pilot hole before stepping up to the 1/2" bit. I have towed a flatbed trailer a couple of times since the install and find the hitch to be strong and stable without any negatives. I plan to paint the light gray side plates black to more closely match the frame of the truck. The plates are fairly visible over the top of the rear tires. The next step will be the companion fifth wheel hitch! :D

Silver Bullet
06-27-2003, 09:39
I have my B&W sitting in the garage waiting on 4th-o-July weekend to install...Dal and Sparky...shoot me an e-mail if you are interested in the watching the install. I am also installing the 5th/gn wiring harness...so I have many holes to drill in the bed!!! :D

Silver Bullet
07-05-2003, 21:34
The install is complete on '02 2500HD...2 holes (1/2" were required to be drilled into the frame. No biggy...All holes were easy, but one nerve racking to drill...you know the one I'm talking about. No issues on the install.

Thanks to DalDMax for help installing as it is a 2 person job!!!

I will complete my gn/5th wiring harness install in the morning and get a few pics posted.