PDA

View Full Version : What snowplow

REC06
07-09-2002, 09:03
Looking for a new snowplow and wanted to get the fourm's advise, suggestions and or comments. I have access to almost any dealer near by (western, hiniker, myers, snowway etc) Hiniker makes a great new plow that converts into a backblade with the flick of the switch great for driveways (anybody used seen) but it is heavy(850 +lbs). Snoway is only half the weight nobody around here uses them(wonder why??) Thanks

Joe Pool
07-09-2002, 10:58
07-09-2002

REC06,

I've used quite a few over the years [Meyer,Western,Northman,Fisher]and my current choice is Fisher. They are heavy, but well made. The bottom edge trip mechanism keeps the snow in front of the blade. I currently use an EZVee blade. Make sure you get one that completely removes so your not dragging around any dead weight for no reason. If your just using it for light duty use any of them will work.

Joe smile.gif

stretch
07-09-2002, 15:15
I use the Western Ultra mount. I purchased it mostly for the way it mounts. Its very slick and when its removed, its almost unnoticable (see my pics) Also mounting is a breeze, even easier than the Fisher minute mount (I have that on my 1500 gasser). I believe the weight is about middle of the road, not the plumpest but no light weight either. If back dragging is very important to you, probably the Hiniker or a Sno-Away is the way to go. smile.gif

REC06
07-09-2002, 20:58
I like that ultra mount, but bagdragging is an issue. I have mostly residential accounts and the d-max is a bit bigger than my ext cab gasser. Figured I'd be doing a lot more bagdragging this year. I do have a few commercial lots, not too big. Thought I wanted to go with a v-plow but a snowway rep talked me out of it for now. Thanks for the imput

Maverick
07-10-2002, 00:22
I have a 9' Sno-Way on my 3500. Look at my pics. Don't get one. They are frigging junk. Blades dent easy, shoe holders break off, A-frames tear out, controllers stop working.......junk! The down pressure is awesome though. That works good. If you are doing your driveway it would be good. I plow comercially and had over 160hrs on mine and beat it hard. My next one is a Curtis plow. Simply the best in my opinion. Unhooks and rehooks in 30 sec. No pins to loose. Heavy duty and good distrbution through the blade. I will be putting a 8' on the 2500HD this fall. They also make a V-plow this fall also.

Lawnboy
07-10-2002, 11:28
You'll never know how much time you'll save with a V-Plow until you have one. Boss, Fisher, and Western are the big 3 in V-Plows.

If all your doing is residential drives, a back blade that mounts in your reciever is the way to go.

Check out http://www.plowsite.com Its probably not that active there now, but the search feature will uncover thousands of posts. Check it out.

IndigoDually
07-10-2002, 12:17
I run 2 Westerns. The Ultra-Mount on my D/A is great. Quick and easy to un-hook/attach(my wife does it most of the time, her truck).

I highly reccomend them.

I think that there are some pics of the plow on the truck at my site below.

John

wolfie
07-10-2002, 17:26
I don't know why anyone would try to talk you out of a V-Plow. I only paid $3800 for my Fisher EZ-V installed.. I think that's only about $500-$600 more than a straight 8 foot plow. I bought it for opening up driveways when the snow gets ahead of me, but I find the scoop position save me a lot of time with clean up and the extra weight of the Fisher makes it pretty good for backdragging as well. This was my first season with the V-Plow and even though we didn't get much snow, I'm sold on it. I'd never go back to a straght plow especially since I have a one plow operation.

REC06
07-11-2002, 10:18
I was thinking that the snowway v plow would be the way to go, bagdragging(75% of account) and then all the advantages of the v-blade, best of both worlds. Then I started hearing quality problems with the lobo v snowway plow. Some guys swear by then others hate them. Thanks for the imput once again....

mackey_62
07-11-2002, 11:27
Anyone hear of Fisher or Boss maybe offering downpressure? I'd really like it, but only if one of them comes out with it. I'm pretty much sold on Fisher-V, but might wait if downpressure is in the works....

Friend of mine has the Lobo, no structural problems in 2 years with madman pushing it. I couldn't buy one though without seeing what it looks like after a couple more years. Definitly don't like the electrical connection at plowframe height. Gets a lot of snow/ice buildup on it and wiring harness. Also came with $.02 recepticle cover that fell off in first week. Think it was designed for use in Arizona. Lots of salt here, would like to see connections protected a little better. Also, think it was slightly more expensive that Fisher V but dont remember numbers.
BTW he drives a D***e CTD, so you'd expect him to pick the wrong plow :rolleyes:

REC06
07-14-2002, 03:25
Looks like my worries over which plow are over. Just ran into a old friend I haven't seen in ten years. He said I could have his cell phone store locations snow contracts thats nine total, plus two hotels (his broters)and two party stores (his old business)not to mention his lawn care. Looks like it will be the boss or western v-plow and dropping all the driveways............thanks :D

DSLPOWR
07-14-2002, 16:23
http://bosssnowplows.com/

I have run Boss and Westerns and prefer the Boss, they are just physically stronger (heavier) and the finish lasts much longer than the baked on "cookie dough" that western uses. They really are commercial duty. I am on my fourth year onthe plow that I have on my HD and it still looks brand new, never let me down either, just replaced a few cutting edges and change the hydraulic fluid.

DogDays
07-17-2002, 15:17
What is a snowplow?????

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D :D :D

Mike

IndigoDually
07-18-2002, 21:06
What's a "Dust Storm"??? :D :D :D

I guess it's not the heat, it's the humidity.

What's Humidity.

JK

John