PDA

View Full Version : Stock Head Unit and CD Changer

3-Fan
09-19-2002, 14:41
Can I hook up a Pioneer CD changer to the stock head unit (no tape player) without the use of an FM modulator on the CD Changer?

Or am I stuck using the FM modulator?

Thanks!!

SoCalDMAX
09-19-2002, 14:44
Check out Mdrag's pics to see how to hook up to the factory connection on the head unit, no FM modulator needed. JP customs sells it, as well as other places.

Regards, Steve

mdrag
09-19-2002, 15:27
3-Fan,

I purchased a 12 disc CD changer from www.radiosandmore.com . It is a Pioneer changer and came in an AC Delco box. It is a direct wired unit and NOT FM modulated. It is my understanding that this is the same CD changer that a GM dealer would use. The OEM head unit (and the steering wheel audio controls) control all functions on the CD changer, just like the OEM cassete player.

The only 'gotchas' that I've found is to make sure you have the door on the CD changer completely closed or you will get ERR on the OEM display, and it takes a minute or two to cycle through the 12 discs when you first load or change CD magazines...

Your signature does not indicate which trim level you have in your truck. My truck is the LT trim with the remote cassette player. IIRC, for this to work, your OEM radio must have the TAPE or AUX button on the head unit.

The changer came with a very long wire harness to plug into the OEM head unit. You should have more than enough harness length to mount the changer anywhere you want - mine is under the DS rear seat, and there was still a few feet of extra harness.

If you have Onstar, you will need to buy the Y-adapter (about $20) to keep Onstar working.

I called radiaoandmore, the sales rep was very well informed about what would work. Give then a call.

There are pics of the CD changer install and additional information at the first link in my sig. As SoCalDMAX mentioned, JPcustoms offers additional solutions for a CD changer, and that link should be with my pics. Good luck.

ON EDIT: corrected the link for www.radiosandmore.com

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

mdrag
09-19-2002, 15:35
I forgot to mention that the tape player will no longer work if you do this, since the head unit's aux input is now being used by the CD changer. It may be possible to figure out some type of Y adapter so the CD changer and tape player could share the input...This was not an issue with me since removed the cassette anyway.

mdrag

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

dmaxster
09-19-2002, 17:33
there is one.....I have it on mine....I have a 6 disc changer that I bought from carnutsx and gotten a Y adapter to use the tape player also.....it's pretty nice.....dmaxster :cool:

3-Fan
09-20-2002, 05:59
mdrag,

I have the LS trim package and no aux. tape deck. So that is why I was questioning whether I could plug an aux. item into my stock head unit. I looked at that website you gave me and if I am reading it right, that CD changer that oyu have will work with "Any factory cassette audio system." Guess that means I use an FM fodulator or by a new head unit also.

Thanks

Alli-max
09-20-2002, 08:11
Mdrag.... I thought your truck also played LP's and reel to reel as well.. :confused: tongue.gif

mdrag
09-20-2002, 10:02
Alli-max,

You forgot to mention 8-tracks... ;)

mdrag

c5dura
09-20-2002, 10:25
3-Fan - I'm pretty sure the CD-Changer will plug right into your AUX port even though you don't have a tape player.

Quoting the web site:

"Works with: Any factory cassette audio system with either an Auto-Tone button or that has "Theft Lock" written in the display"

You have both of those features on your stock radio, right?

mdrag
09-20-2002, 10:39
c5dura has a good point. I'd give them a call - they were very knowledgable and helpful when I called before placing my order.

mdrag

3-Fan
09-20-2002, 14:59
I took your guys advice and called them. Very polite, very helpful, and very quick pick up time. As long as there is nothing currently plugged into my 9 pin connector in the back, the cd changer can be connected directly. If there is something plugged into this already (On-Star, Tape Deck, or Aux. booster for more than 4 speakers from the factory) you can just add a "Y" and all is back to normal. Just like you guys said. You all are good!!

Thanks again!!

SoCalDMAX
09-20-2002, 15:46
Glad you're all set!

Now if you wanna hook up LP and 8-track as well, there's only one guy who can help you with that... ;)

Regards, Steve

bora
09-20-2002, 20:06
Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the head unit, associated trim etc so that one can plug in the cd changer cable?

Or can one get at it from underneath the dash?

I have the bench seat in the front so no console in the way for me.

SoCalDMAX
09-21-2002, 21:19
It's super easy!

1. Mske sure parking brake is on. Drop the steering wheel down to lowest tilt position.

2. Insert key, turn on ignition (don't start engine!) and drop shifter into 1st.

3. Grab trim which surrounds instrument cluster and radio and pull it off as one piece. Pull it a section at a time towards you, it's just clipped on.

4. Look at both sides of the stereo, there are plastic tabs, pull them either up or down, it will be obvious.

5. Pull the stereo straight out once tabs have been unlatched. There is plenty of slack in the cables.

6. The connector you want is the only bare spot left on the big connector in the back of the unit.

7. Reassembly is the opposite, be careful not to snag the rubber boot on the shifter with the trim piece when snapping it on.

the whole process should only take 5-10 min. as long as you don't spill your beer. ;)

Regards, Seve

3-Fan
09-23-2002, 08:15
Um, what's an 8 track player? Must be before my generation!!!

[ 09-23-2002: Message edited by: 3-Fan ]</p>

bora
09-23-2002, 11:23
Hi SoCalDmax,

Thanks for the instructions.

Sure sounds easy.

Bora

SoCalDMAX
09-23-2002, 12:59
3-Fan,

Suuuure, like we believe you. tongue.gif

Bora,

You're very welcome. The hard part is routing the cable under the carpeting to where you mount the CD changer. The way I got under the carpet was to pull up on the door sill plastic trim and reach under the carpet where the driver's or passenger's feet rest. You can lift it up and get some room under there to pull the cable thru.

Good luck, Steve

NickLeinonen
09-23-2002, 19:17
"Um, what's an 8 track player? Must be before my generation!!!"

and the kids born in the early 90's will be like "audio casette? what is that???"

and kids in the 2000's will know of dvd's, but they will have ??? about cd's