PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Digital quality

CALIMAX
09-15-2002, 18:53
I finally received my guages from Dakota Digital & it seems they still have poor quality control. The etching on the guages is different & one is very poor. The aluminun black trim piece around the guages does not match either, one is smooth with rounded edges the other has grooves thru it with sharper edges. Anyone else who just received this latest batch having the same problem?

Tinbender
09-15-2002, 21:49
Calimax,
I was the first to install and post about the Dakota Digital gauges. I didn't get any satisfaction from DD when I phoned them about the QA problems I had, which included bad crips on the thermocouple connection causing intermittent error. I mentioned the etching problem a couple times on this form. I suggested that the problem should be addressed when ordering the gauge set. Since then, I have made up a couple kits for others and the etching on the EGT gauge hasn't improved. I had hoped that someone had done something about it by now.

I emailed the president of DD, referencing the posts on TDP and Photos, But never got any reply. It's a shame, because DD was supposed to have a good reputation. :confused: :confused: I do like the over head location for the gauges.

Also, a suggestion, I put some black electricans tape across the bezel to cut the glare from the display lights, it leaves just a glow to illuminate the S&@tty etching.

Bob

CALIMAX
09-17-2002, 19:10
Talked to Dave at DD yesterday and he claimed that he has not heard of any quality problems with the engraving or black trim. He also could not guarentee they would have a matched set, nor would he compare two guages off the shelf to see for himself. He reccomended I ship the guages back so he could see for himself, so the guages are being sent back. Turns out that someone from my same town has sent guages back to Dave also, seems fishy to me. I will let you know what happens.

CSDMAX
09-17-2002, 22:07
Calimax,

Well sounds like we (everyone who has purchased these gauges) need to give ol Dave a call and let him know that the Boost and EGT gauges DO NOT HAVE THE SAME ENGRAVING/ETCHING...WHATEVER! Tinbender advised me before I purchased them. When I ordered them I mentioned this to Dakota Digital and they said that it should not be an issue. Well, needless to say....I have the same NON matching gauges as you do. :mad: I waited too long to get them...so when I received them I decided to forget about returning them and installed them.
On edit.. if you look in my sig for pics I have a good shot that clearly shows the mismatch. The EGT has thicker lettering than the Boost and the boost lettering is slightly higher than the EGT.

[ 09-17-2002: Message edited by: CSDMAX ]</p>

Tinbender
09-17-2002, 22:37
DD is full of S*%t. I called and talked them about the 1ST of July about the miss match on the etching. They had a song and dance about having the etching done by some one else, but were doing it in house now. No other satisfaction from their technician. I even sent him an email to let him know about fix with the intermittent problem caused by the bad crimp. Never did got a response. I'm beginning to think their not interested in our business. Service is not one of their strong points.

Bob

CALIMAX
09-21-2002, 12:57
I'm very surprised. I sent the guages out on tuesday not expecting to see them again for a couple of weeks. To my amazement they arrived back to me 4 days later (friday) WITH MATCHED ENGRAVING and matched trim rings. Hats off to the service dept. at Dakota Digital. I encourage anyone else having problems to talk to Dave in the service department.

AKDmax
09-21-2002, 13:29
Maybe Dave will join TDP and dispel any rumors of their poor quality control. I really want to do this, but don't want the hassle of sending gauges back and forth from AK to get a good product. Maybe the X-monitor is a better choice. Haven't heard any problems with that yet...