PDA

View Full Version : SnugTop Pics Anyone?

Reno DMAX
11-14-2002, 11:58
Anyone out there have a cab high SnugTop shell? If so, I'd appreciate your opinion of the quality and pictures if possible.

Thanks! smile.gif

mattb5150
11-14-2002, 22:32
Hey Reno,

Thanks for the locking gas cap info, just ordered one yesterday. We have a SnugTop on our Dmax. Not really thrilled with it. We have had to replace the drivers side window and have had some parts of the latch fall off. The screens are a joke and it leaks where the rear glass and tailgate meet. We haul our dogs around in it so a little water is acceptable but if you will have anything that can't get wet beware. Maybe ours is just a lemon but I'd shop around. Some discussions were done about shells on this site earlier in the year.

Good Luck,
Matt B.

Reno DMAX
11-15-2002, 15:30
Matt,

Thanks for your comments. I'm shopping around!

When it comes time to install your locking fuel cap, don't forget to use a hair dryer to make the tether more pliable and easier to install. ;)

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: Reno DMAX ]</p>

Tinbender
11-16-2002, 13:18
Reno Dmax,
I shopped many of the topper manufactures and settled on the Carryboy. I liked the fit and finish, also thought the rear door latch system and clamp system was by far superior to all the others. One draw back might be is they do not have screens in the model I chose (Super-F). I don't use it for sleeping so not a problem. A few pics, check sig. Also, no leaks anywhere in 10 months I've had it.

Bob

[ 11-16-2002: Message edited by: Tinbender ]</p>

FirstDiesel
11-16-2002, 18:17
I've never seen a Snug Top for a truck but if they are of the quality of the Snug Top for the Miata forget it. They are a real piece of junk.

I currently have 2 different model ARE caps on my 2 trucks and have been totally pleased. The "work" truck has a low end cap and the fun truck has a Z series. Both are fine with no leaks of any sort.

Reno DMAX
11-18-2002, 12:03
Tinbender,

Nice cap! Does the shell have a ribbed roof that matches the trucks' roof?

Tinbender
11-18-2002, 12:51
Reno DMAX,
The cap has a tapering rib that is wide at the front and tapers to the width of the brake lite in the rear. Check the Carryboy brochure posted with my pics. Duramax gallery.

Bob

gardnerteam
11-23-2002, 18:25
I have had A.R.E. problems. On the first one the rear door did not fit and you could practically drive a semi through each side. Door locks broke as well. After bitching at them for 6 months and a final threat file in small claims court, the dealer reordered another and after 4 months more, it finally arrived. Door was tight, but both sides had huge roof to bed indentation on each side and it looks terrible. Dealer agreed. Called A.R.E. and apparently they are not going to cover it. Dealer sells a lot of A.R.E. I will probably sue both dealer and A.R.E A.R.E. appears to be a lousy product with a even worse warranty.

Marty P
11-23-2002, 18:59
I saw the posts regarding a locking fuel cap. Do you have a web site for it?

Thanks,

Marty

pinehill
11-24-2002, 00:22
Contrary to Gardnerteam's experience, my A.R.E. Z-series has been tight, blemish-free, and mechanically sound ever since I bought it early in '01. I know two other people with the same unit who are also entirely satisfied.

Another supplier for locking fuel caps is TransferFlow, who sell a dandy unit for about $12.

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

FirstDiesel
11-24-2002, 08:49
My experience with the ARE is the same as pinehill. The caps are perfect, look good and tight as a drum.

Reno DMAX
11-25-2002, 17:44
Marty P,

To answer your question about the locking AC-Delco Fuel cap, I mentioned the URL in my post.

www.ac-direct.com

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000573&p=

Tsckey
11-25-2002, 20:41
Reno,
I know you just wanted pictures of a SnugTop and we're all giving you something else, but as long as you mentioned looking at other brands, you might give Leer a gander. Mine is still new, so whatever gremlins might be lurking in it haven't surfaced, yet, but the fit and finish seem fine and it it looks good. By the way, the SnugTops I have eyeballed for myself all look pretty good. My neighbor has one on his F150 and after several years it still looks brand new. Course, he is a fanatical wash and wax guy. I've never even seen dust on his truck and he parks it outside.

TC

dl537
11-26-2002, 09:14
Reno,
I put a Leer shell on my truck and it looks great. It fits so well people think it is an SUV. I got it at Custom Truck on Kietzke near Mill.

dmaxstu
11-26-2002, 21:57
reno dmax

I have a SnugTop cab high cap it looks very good. One of the reasons I chose it is that it is one of the few tops to which you can attach gutter pieces in order to have a rooftop carrier because it is strong enough.I intend carrying a boat that weighs 250#.
I also noticed it had a label that indicated that it was GM appoved which means I suppose that if you ordered a top from the dealer you would get a SnugTop and it will be the correct color.
I do have some water leaching into the bed of the truck, but not enough that it bothers me, as a matter of fact it seems to be about the same amount whether it rains hard or light rain. This could be bothersome if the bed of the truck was upholstered. I have heard tell that if you get a top that does'nt leak some you are fortunate.Stu

mattb5150
12-03-2002, 23:51
To see photos of Snugtop XV cab hi see http://www.picturetrail.com/northernlights

Reno DMAX
12-05-2002, 14:54
Matt,

Thanks for the pics. The shell looks great on your truck. How hard was the installation of the white knight back-up lights?

mattb5150
12-06-2002, 23:28
Reno,

The White Knights are very easy to install they go on with a big U-bolt. The wiring goes right to the trailer harness, good instructions come with the lights, I got them from jcwhitney.com. Hey where is the best place in Reno to buy diesel fuel, I'll be up there tommorrow and I always find the places that are higher than CA. There must be some out-of-the way truck stop I don't know about?

Matt B.

Reno DMAX
12-09-2002, 12:07
Matt,

I always fuel up at Baldini's. Its on Rock Blvd. The Rock Blvd. exit is off of I-80. To South on Rock 1/4 mile and you'll see it on the right. They have two pumps that don't have the large fast fill nozzle.

I've also fueled up at the Alamo truck plaza on Vista Blvd. (I-80 East).

Both places get lots of business.

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: Reno DMAX ]</p>

SF Jakey
12-10-2002, 12:14
I have a leer shell and am very pleased with it. This is my second truck with one and they hold up very well. I don't think I waxed my first one 3 times in 6 years and it still looked new. One bit of advice though, get the bulb seal, not the foam, I got foam and had it replaced with the bulb because it would never seal right and leaked. If you really want to seal the back, Cabela's sells a tailgate bulb seal that keeps not only water, but most dust out as well. I think it was about 20 bucks.