PDA

View Full Version : Question for Hoot

zip
06-30-2002, 15:02
Hoot-- Just lookin at the pics of your truck and
somethin came to mind.
(1) Are you using galvanized pipe coming out of your propane tank?
I've been told never to use galvanized on gas systems. It can flake off and plug the orifice of your spray nozzle. No?
(2) Do you have to change your gas control valve over to the new OPD type before the propane supplier refills your tank? I had to buy two new ones (valves)for my 5'er and they cost $@34.00 apiece.
Not tryin to be nosy Hoot. Just wanted to know.See ya
zip

hoot
06-30-2002, 20:50
That's an old picture. You have a good eye! Although I had no problems, I recently changed out the plumbing to schedule 80 black iron.

I actually was given the plumbing and advice by a friend on this site from Wisconsin? that stopped by my house this spring during a long trip. Chime in Wayne, I forget your screen name...

Is galvanized, galvanized on the inside?????

I also have an excess flow device that works real slick. It's rated to shut down at or above a rate of 4 gallons/min. of liquid propane. I tested it by simply opening the valve full blast and the safety valve immediately cut the flow.

The tank does have an OPD device but for filling, it has a spit valve to let you know when you are at 80% fill. The labeling specifically calls out the use of this spit valve and not the OPD valve for filling. You open this little valve during filling and when liquid starts coming out, it's full.

BTW, the tank was manufactured custom for this application less than a year ago so it's up to snuff.

No problem with the questions. Thanks for bringing these things up. Others can learn from this too.

zip
07-05-2002, 11:02
Yes-- galvanized is on both inside and outside.
It's a zink-based dipping process.