PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive theft prevention Guru needed

Sneaks
05-24-2003, 16:19
To the forum electrical gurus:

As a new (to me) Duramax owner I like to sleep nights and feel OK leaving my ride in parking lots down by the border. My previous ride, a Dodge Ram gasser, had what I thought was a very elegant anti-theft device. The cigarette lighter had to be left in the "pushed in" position before the truck would start. Leave it in a parking lot? Just pocket the cigarette lighter and walk away feeling secure enough to know that the casual bad guy wasn't gonna drive it away nor would most pro's carry cigarette lighters in their bag of tools.

Obviously something critical was wired to ground through the lighter, yet didn't pull enough current to actually cause the lighter to heat and pop out.

I want to do something similar in my 2001 Duramax! Is it do-able? I hate those friggin horn alarms and nobody pays attention to them anyway here in SoCal. LoJack/Onstar is too rich for my blood as well. Would a place that installs security systems do something like this? Is it possible for a geezer to do by himself? Is it even feasable in a diesel powered vehicle? Your input is appreciated !

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-24-2003, 21:36
Don,

No fuel = No start.

Disable the fuel pump with a hidden switch and if you have no fuel no-one is going anywhere.

I would look for the fuel pump fuse and take it with you.

Maybe put a blown one in it's place so the thief won't know.

Let's hope no one steals it.

GMC ;)

[ 05-24-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

IndigoDually
05-27-2003, 07:28
How about using the seatbelt to send ground to a relay that powers the injection pump. How many Thieves "Buckle Up" prior to trying to start a vehicle they are trying to steal?

I like the cigarette lighter thing, really cool.

John

Sneaks
05-27-2003, 08:06
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check where the injector pump and/or fuel pump get their ground but I think they would pull enough amperage to be affected by the cigarette lighter resistance. If all else fails I could probably install a small switch somewhere as suggested earlier, but as a non smoker I lean toward the more subtle solution.

Hopefuly a relay provides power to either of those devices so I can put the lighter in series with the relay supply.

Colorado Kid
05-27-2003, 15:27
If your truck doesn't have fog lights a factory fog light switch is a damned subtle theft detering switch.

Like the man said, no fuel = no start. :cool:

I hope D-max thieves don't read this board, or don't live near me. :eek:

DuramaxDicko
05-27-2003, 16:44
Got you all beat!

Ever see a thief NOT sit down to take the car?

I shouldn't be spreading this around, but what the hey

letsgo
05-27-2003, 18:31
Hmmmmmm

dont sit down, reach over hook up the safty belt, all fuses in place, turn the fog lights on, light up the cigar, now who took the 2 batteries????

couldnt resist.

good luck.

HD-Nate
05-28-2003, 13:49
Just remember while all the above are great ideas. They will not stop a tow truck.

Bottom line is, if they want it, they will get it and thats why you have insurance.