PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins....

blowinsmoke
07-31-2003, 08:13
I've done a search and can't see a whole lot of infor on air intakes..! - I can get an AFE stage 1 for $180 and an AFE stage 2 for $240.. Which is better? also, I hate the stock tires.. what's the safest AT I could put on the stock rims and pull like a 10,000lbs 5er..?

Thanks y'all
P

Silver Bullet
07-31-2003, 10:09
Blowin',
I think the AFE Stage II is the way to go. I am running the K&N AirCharger, but I have heard they are not making it anymore. Besides the AFE Stage II is about the same thing and it has the MAF sensor mounted in close to the stock location...compared to mine which is not. Tires...I would not go any larger than 265's on stock rims.

Where are you located?

blowinsmoke
07-31-2003, 10:13
I thought I could go 285's on the stock rims.. - I'm located the same place you are smile.gif Sachse.. Pick the new baby up in about an hour.

HD-Nate
07-31-2003, 10:54
Originally posted by blowinsmoke:
I thought I could go 285's on the stock rims.. - I'm located the same place you are smile.gif Sachse.. Pick the new baby up in about an hour. You can and they work fine, see "My Pictures" below.

Silver Bullet
07-31-2003, 11:01
Nate is right...you can put 285's on stock rims...I started off this way, but found I had to run much lower air pressure to get the rubber to meet the road since the narrow rims (6.5") pinched the tire or caused the tire to crown. I decided to go with 16x8 rims to solve this problem. I would not run anything bigger than a 265 on the stock rim....personal choice. You can run a 305 on a stock rim...I have seen that done, but it doesn't make it a good idea or safe...and if you are going to be towing...

Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance.

sonofagun
07-31-2003, 13:29
blowinsmoke,

Be sure you talk to you service manager before you put larger tires on. Some on the forum and been denied related work until they restore the original tire sizes. Some service managers, like mine, have said no problem. The new SWR 3500 may give us a break on the 265s because that is what it will wear.

Bob