PDA

View Full Version : Sony XM Radio and CB Problem

3-Fan
09-09-2002, 11:14
I installed a Sony DRN-XM01R XM radio and Cobra 75 WX ST CB in my truck. When I have CB on and then turn the XM radio on, I have to adjust the squelch on the CB way up (and sometimes can't get it clear.) The XM radio transmits through and FM modulator.

I know that the big rig guys have both the XM radio and a CB installed and don't have any problems. Is the reason I am having this problem is I don't have a filter of some sort or becasue it is just characteristic of thit setup. Any help in letting me run my CB and XM Radio at the smae time would be great.

THANKS!!

Alli-max
09-09-2002, 15:53
Too strange. I dont think that the CB and the FM Mod is a parallel band. I know, not the same band, but parallel. FM Mods have been used for a while.

I had the FM Mod type for a while before going to DIN style, and had no problems. I am guessing you have properly grounded each unit?

NutNbutGMC
09-09-2002, 19:08
^... My only WAG would be to install an in-line noise supressor. There is a pic of the one I installed in my photo link. It's the yellow gadget to the left of the amp. I had to have it due to engine interference (noise).

As to Alli-max and the DIN unit....Good move. But I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know.

chevmeister
09-09-2002, 20:58
Two Things to look at:
1. Are your antenna wires touching??
2. Are both units Grounded properly?
I deal alot with cb radios and i know they can feed back the other way by just never heard of this. Of course ive never delt with a fm transmitter near a cb.

3-Fan
09-10-2002, 06:06
Both the CB and XM radio are grounded to the same grounding lug in the fuse panel by the driver's side dash board.

chevmeister: by antenna wires, you mean the antenna wire from the XM radio and the antenna wire from my CB antenna touching? Very likely could be, since they both come through the fire wall at the same place.

Alli-max: What is a DIN unit??

Thanks guys!!