PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors for Towing

FirstDiesel
06-24-2002, 18:02
What are the options here?? I here mixed opinions over the Lucerix mirrors. There is mention of the new mirrors GM will have for 2003 but how would they retrofit to a 2002 truck?? Is there anything else out there worth looking at or do I need to just take my chances on the Lucerix??

Thanks

56Nomad
06-24-2002, 18:15
FirstDiesel,

Love my Lucerix. I wonder if the new
2003 mirrors will provide the 100 sq in of
mirror that Lucerix has. Since I carry a
camper, it was money well spent.

FirstDiesel
06-24-2002, 18:20
How about the fit and vibrations some people are complaining about?? Are yours power??

westies
06-24-2002, 20:50
I am on my second set of Lucerix. First set had bad vibration and fit was not up to par. I only mentioned to my dealer about the vibration and he said he would get me a new glass and tool to change the one side. Instead they sent him a new set of the revised design and no questions asked. New set still shakes a little but really so little it is nothing to worry about. Fit has not changed but by putting two 5/16 washer shims on two bottom bolts the fit becomes very good. I have a wide body fifth wheel and the vision down the passenger side could be better but it also is acceptable.
The 2003 GM mirrors as I am told are identical to the Power Vision and probably made by Power Vision. They are small in comparison to the Lucerix, (6 x 10 inches for the GM and 10 x 10 for the Lucerix) and they have a rubber type gasket on the power extension arms that look kinda weird. The 2003 GM mirrors will apparently fith the 2001 - 2002 models except you will need the power extension switch and some new wiring for same and I would imagine the door panel will have to be modified to accept the power extension switch.
Even though I have had some minor problems with the Lucerix, I would still take them again. One last thing is that the GM mirror will only come with a three year warranty and the Lucerix has a Lifetime warranty to original owner. smile.gif

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: westies ]</p>

MNBowTie
06-24-2002, 21:41
FirstDiesel,

I'm in your same camp! I need good towing mirrors. Sucks! Finally have a truck that can tow your rig, but you can't see anything.

Here is a link for the powervision: click on the Duramax and you will see the inside/outside view.

Notice the 6way switch on the door panel. I bet it is what the 03’s are going to look like.

Here is Lucerix link:

http://www.lucerix.com/xmount.htm

Right now I'm leaning towards the Lucerix. They are less expensive and I won't have to worry about the motor going out and/or torn protective boots a few years down the road.

Jomar
06-24-2002, 23:02
I have Bestop mirrors, which look a lot like Lucerix, and so far they have turned out to be great. Beats the He*# out of those factory ones that came with the truck.

John G.

56Nomad
06-25-2002, 01:06
Me thinks Bestop buys from Lucerix. Do they
have a lifetime warrenty?

I don't want that rubber "squeeze box" look on my doors

:D :D :D

Lucerix mirrors are well worth the money in
my humble opinion. Fit perfect

Vibration...???? Everything vibrates when
the stereo is on :D :D :D

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

Desert Diesel
06-25-2002, 08:21
FirstDiesel,

You may want to check out this article by Chris Bigley on the Lucerix mirrors.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/mirror.htm

The Lucerix mirrors may have a few minor problems.
But I would attribute this to the teething process in manufacturing. The company stands by its product and offers a lifetime warranty. You won't get that offer from GM.

Regards,

David

Reno DMAX
06-25-2002, 09:40
I too am leaning towards the Lucerix mirrors because the company stands by their product.

I saw a pair on a two toned (front half white/rear red) 3500 that were painted to match the truck and they looked really sharp. The truck, from Texas, had Western Hauler badging on the door.

Luis
06-25-2002, 19:10
LUCERIX................. ;)

dmaxster
06-25-2002, 19:32
I looked at alot of mirrors before I had decided....I got the Lucerix's and may I add that the large field of vision behind you is awesome....however if there was a way to make the passenger side come out about two more inches.....that would be great, it's not that you can't see it would just give you more field to see.....I had gotten mine from Mr. Kennedy and he was real fair on the pricing......so on that note, I would really consider Lucerix for two reasons, View and the lifetime warranty.....dmaxster :cool:

02DMAX
06-25-2002, 19:54
If you don't mind the apearance of the strap on mirrors the McKesh mirrors have worked well for me. Only been out twice pulling a 26ft 5th wheel. I got the convex mirrors so end up with 3 mirrors per side. Cost was 181.55 from Hensley Mfg. Fairly easy to put on and take off once you are set in campsite. Haven't noticed any vibration which is more than I can say for the clip on's that I used to use. Just another 2 cents. tongue.gif

Fishnfool
06-25-2002, 21:31
Am going to be ordering a 2003 2500HD soon and dont like the accordian look on the mirrors either! I guess I should still order them though to get the wiring and switching to change over to the Lucerix mirrors?

BobNelson
06-25-2002, 22:45
ok.... gotta throw in my .02 here.. I have the Powervision, accordian... and I like them. Minimal vibration, and good control. In/out switch was an easy install and no one would question whether it was stock or not. Have driven with the lucerix on a friends truck. Nice, but I just didn't like the looks.. In the long run, to each their own. Both are great products.

Good luck in your choice.

CSDMAX
06-25-2002, 22:45
02DMAX,

Hey, have you been up to the slimy slough's of the Delta this year? You know Tiki Lagoon, Lost Isle...screamin Mai Tais, etc. ;)

Drag that 26'er up to Turner Cut for a weekend and enjoy the sun!!!! :cool:

Don

White Knight
06-26-2002, 04:41
I have to second 02DMAX's comments. I used the slip-on mirrors that attached to my stock mirror on my 1995 GMC. They worked, but not great. When I got my 2002 GMC D/A, I bought a set of McKesh strap-on mirrors with the convex mirror. My trailer is 28 ft. long and 8 1/2 feet wide. The McKesh give me a good field of vision to the side and rear of my vehicles.

56Nomad
06-26-2002, 21:24
Hi Bob,

Glad you added your 2

rvforfun
06-26-2002, 22:07
Hey Gang!
I too am looking for the ideal towing mirror! Kind of confusing between AMS (LUCERIS), Power Vision, and the article by Chris Bigley? Mesurements of both. Power Vision and AMS (Luceris), Power Vision mirror surface 10.50" x 6.50" will extend 5". Total extension tip to tip extended depending on application 107" to 109". This is according to Power Vision web sight! AMS (Lucerix)surface 10" x 10" will extend 4.25" according to AMS web sight! According to the article by Chris Bigley tip to tip for this set (AMS)is only 104"! Hope I have this right. But according to these measurements for a trailer that is a wide body (102") I would think the power vision would be the better choice with the 107 to 109 tip to tip spread. Sorry for the long post.
web sights:

http://www.powervisionmirrors.com

http://www.automirrorsource.com

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/mirror.htm

Any Help Please let me know! I like both but want the best :D :eek: :confused:

SoCalDMAX
06-26-2002, 22:29
Hi Keith,

I've got the Lucerix and can attest to their quality and huge mirror area. I went outside and measured, they are indeed 104" wide. Drop me an email if you'd like to see them in person.

Sorry, I have no info on the Powervision.

Regards, Steve