PDA

View Full Version : Clamp on thermocouple

AKDmax
09-08-2002, 21:35
Not sure if there is a spot to mount a clamp on thermocouple, but has anyone tried one? pros, cons? seems easier and safer (turbo) than drilling and taping.

Tinbender
09-08-2002, 22:01
I would question just how much lag and error you would end up with. You need to get that probe into the exhaust stream, either pre or post turbo. After running post turbo on my previous F*&D PSD, I feel the pre-turbo is much more accurate and responsive. Only thing with pre-turbo is you can't tell the heat soak of the turbo before shutdown. My .02.

I found the drill and tap method discribed in the install article to be quick and easy.

Bob

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: Tinbender ]</p>

raygreg
09-09-2002, 15:21
I think there is a spot on the down pipe right after the clamp on the passenger side of the engine that a clamp on probe would fit.

YZF1R
09-09-2002, 17:03
That's where I put mine. You do drill a hole. It's not just clamped to the pipe. (In case there was any confusion on mounting.) It has an adjustable collar on it to set the depth. Very easy, no worry of the thermocouple going thru anything on the unlikely event it would break off.

Steve

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-09-2002, 20:09
I have the thermocoupler in my exhaust and am very happy. The coolest temp I see is 250 deg. just before I shut down the engine.

No Problem at all - So far - so good.

GMC ;)

pullinpower
09-09-2002, 20:30
Gmc 02 dmax,do you think you could take a shot off where your pyro mounts into the pipe. I like this method of install alot better since there is no danger in trashing the turbo.

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-09-2002, 20:55
I don't have a shot now, maybe I'll have one up by the weekend. If you remove the passenger side plastic inner fender and look at the clamp that holds the exhaust downpipe to the cast housing for the exhaust coming from the turbo, I drilled as close to the clamp as possible facing the tire ( about 1/2" to 3/4" away ).

The Autometer gauges came with a stainless steel clamp and a funny white gasket to seal it off.

I know that the temps are lower than actual pre-turbo or just post turb temps but I get a read off both banks that way and can guess that the turbo is about 50-100 degrees hotter than at the down pipe.

GMC ;)

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

pullinpower
09-10-2002, 06:04
Yea thats the way I want to go with mine. I think its alot safer than preturbo if something fails with the probe.