PDA

View Full Version : Tire Balancing Info

SoCalDMAX
09-08-2002, 01:00
I bought Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires from Discount Tire back in January, IIRC. At first, they rode smooth as silk, but gradually they started to ride rough and the truck seemed to shake a little.

I took the truck in to get the tires rotated, and the shake was worse. They rebalanced the tires, but it didn't seem to help and there was a LOT of weight on 2 of the tires. I went back in and asked them to Ride Match them using the Hunter GSP-9700. The Hunter checks the rim's radial and lateral runout down to .001" and the tire's runout as well. The tire is then measured under load at speed. The tire gets rotated on the rim to minimize runout and then balanced, usually with very little weight.

They discovered that 3 out of my 5 tires were too far out of round to be balanced properly and the machine indicated they needed to be replaced, 2 had obvious belt separation. The manager decided to order 4 new tires and replace 4 out of 5 and place the 5th in the spare location.

The new tires arrived today and they installed and Ride Matched them for free, roughly $700 value. Not too bad, considering I got about 10,000 bumpy miles out of them. The only drawback is the new tires are Rover RVs instead of A/Ts. The RVs have a little bigger tread blocks and appear to have deeper tread, so they may last longer. They do have a barely detectable hum at fwy speeds, the A/Ts didn't.

So if you're trying to track down an elusive shimmy or shake (no, I'm not talkin' about Dmax Diva, you perverts!) don't rule out your tires, even though they may appear to be balanced.

Rides like a Caddy again... :D

Regards, Steve

JEBar
09-08-2002, 04:03
Steve...went through much the same thing with the tires that came on my truck .... local dealer didn't have a machine that could handle dualy tires so was sent to a national brand tire shop...they checked tires and said 2 rims were out of round, dealer replaced them, tires mounted on new rims started to bounce within a few thousand miles...ended up at local truck speciality shop which matched the tires and rims as you outlined above... 11,000 miles since then and after 2 rotations they still ride smooth, seriously doubt that there was anything wrong with the two rims that were replaced...Jim

ThePend
09-08-2002, 20:34
Im going to try that Hunter GSP9700 this week. I bought a new set of 265 Steeltex's for the stock wheels this weekend. The idiots at the Firestone Service Center put a total of 7 oz of weight on just one wheel, and if you can believe this, on the same end even. I know theres a high spot somewhere. Well, if the dealer with 9700 cant get them in line, I guess Ill take them back to Firestone and complain.

Dave_WB3FYV
09-18-2002, 11:19
Just a bit of advice on the Rover RV tires, rotate them Early and rotate them Often! I had a set on my '93 C1500 and those big tread blocks wore at an angle fairly quickly, then they sang to me all the time, and sounded like I do in the shower! Great tires, ride good and last a long time but they will get bumpy and noisy if you don't take care of them. I think the Discount Tire that sold them to me offered free rotate and balance for a nominal charge, but I was being a cheapskate and didn't buy it up front, regretted it ever oil change when I would get in line for them to do it at cost!

SoCalDMAX
09-18-2002, 12:54
Dave,

Thanks for the tip on the Rover RVs. Do you think every 5,000mi would be often enough, or do you recommend even more often than that?

ThePend,

If having trouble finding a shop with the Hunter GSP9700, try this website:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Regards, Steve

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

Dave_WB3FYV
09-18-2002, 16:17
SoCalDMAX

You'll know when it's time, the humm will get a little quieter as the blocks begin to taper, then pick up a little vibration, and when rotated they'll really buzz until the new leading edge of the tread blocks wear off - and you'll tell yourself you waited too long. I certainly wouldn't recommend going much beyond 5000 miles. Seemed like every oil change was good, but that was only 3000 miles on the gasser.
Just run your hand around the tread now and then, when you start to feel a big difference going in the other direction, it'll be time to rotate.