PDA

View Full Version : Dumb shock question

Sneaks
05-12-2003, 16:41
I understand the OEM shocks on the 2500HD aren't the best. How does one check the condition? Is there an objective test?

JoeyD
05-12-2003, 16:55
An easy test is to bounce one corner of the vehicle 5 or 6 times and watch the rebound. It should stop as soon as you stop. This works on cars but might be tough on a truck with high spring rates unless you are the Hulk.
How many miles on them now?

battmain
05-12-2003, 17:48
If you see an oil patch on the side of the shock, it may be time...The proper way to test is to take them off and use a shock tester. The bouncing doesn't always work. My other car in the driveway has 265k miles on the original struts and it will still bounce only once if I jump on the bumper and jump off. I highly doubt they're still good.

ski
05-12-2003, 17:50
Don,

forget the test. replace them anyway. the stock shocks are junk. I replaced mine with the Rancho RS9000Xs and have about 400 miles on them now. I could have kicked myself for not doing this sooner.

AndrewF
05-12-2003, 17:53
Ski, can you let me know the Ranch part number/s for the shocks you put on. Thanks.

Sneaks
05-12-2003, 18:48
I've got 31,000 miles on them and no, they don't have any oil showing. I've heard "Rancho", and "Bilstein", and lots 'a cussing of stock shocks around the forum, but only anecdotal evidence that the shocks really improve the ride. Bear in mind, I have a 2wd HD, and off road to me is driving through a campground looking for a spot for my RV. In other words, mostly towing a 5th wheel RV.

SoCalDMAX
05-12-2003, 19:09
Don,

Here's my recommendation. Since you're a pavement only driver and towing, I'd recommend the Rancho RS9000Xs. If you were offroading I'd recommend Bilsteins or even Fox Shox with reservoirs. The Ranchos will give you 9 different settings to choose from, and believe me, ANY brand of shocks are in a whole different universe than the OEMs. I couldn't even give my old ones away, with only a couple hundred miles on them.

I have the RS9000s, which have only 5 settings, and the ride difference was VERY pronounced. Instead of "chopping" over speedbumps and fwy swells, the suspension works like it should and absorbs the bumps while maintaining control.

The adjustability really helps when changing from towing vs empty, since the weight acting on the suspension has changed, the damping can be changed to suit.

Regards, Steve

Burner
05-13-2003, 01:53
I have heard everyone mention "Rancho 9000's" and Blisteins but not a peep about the Rancho RSX shock. I had a set on my PS that changed it from a soup mobile to a Lincon. Why would these not work for the 2500 HD? :rolleyes:

Burner------> :D ;)

BassinRVer
05-13-2003, 06:54
The RSX do work on our truck. But I want to control the shock at will. That is why I have the Remote in cab adjustment. I guess I want to be in control not the shock. I want to be able to adjust the shock while towing 8000 LB tougue pull trailer or when not towing. With my set up I know for sure what level I am in at all times. the RSX stuffens as needed and I want to know what level I am in.

Sneaks
05-13-2003, 16:27
Thanks Steve in Santee. Guess I better take advantage of the 4 for the price of three promotion going on.

Don