PDA

View Full Version : Beware EGR Ventshades

westies
06-16-2002, 21:53
I decided to go with the snap in ventshades rather than the stickies. I wanted Weather Tech but in this area they are very hard to get. Finally I settled for the EGR. The following is an email I just sent EGR......

I special ordered a 4 piece set of your snap in ventshields for a 2002 Chev Silverado 3500 which arrived in Spokane WA last Thursday. I have to travel 120 miles to get to dealer which I did Saturday.

Driver side unit snapped in with no problem. Passenger side was different story. Everytime the installer had it in place the bottom edge by mirror would pop out. Everytime it popped out I noticed it left a new scratch in the bottom window trim. After a few tries with no results and more scratches the installer decided maybe he should alter the length. Well that never worked neither and more scratches.

Finally, I told him to stop and get me my refund, for at least the ventshades and we will talk about the damage to the window trim later. I drove another 120 miles home.

I believe your product is crap and believe me I will pass this along to who ever asks what I think about your foolproof installation. Mind you I should have known as your bug deflector does not fit proper either.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

odoh
06-17-2002, 00:26
I to have been looking for snap-ins. Have been thinking Weather Techs also. Your report on EGR is appreciated. Thanks for sharing. ~ odoh

Cancerman
06-17-2002, 11:44
I ordered my WeatherTech stuff over the internet.
I think that the metal tabs for the back window visors could have been longer, but so far they have stayed in place going through car washes.

woundedbear
06-17-2002, 12:00
westies,

Sorry for your experience. On the contrary, I must add that I have nothing but praise for every EGR product that I have encountered. My first experience was a Superguard hood shield on my 1995 Toyota Pickup. The aesthetics, fit and ease of installation had me running back for more after my 2002 K2500HD purchase, when I blindly ordered the Superguard hood shield along with the In-Channel WindowVisors for my Crew Cab (P/N 571721).

To no suprise of mine, the hood shield fit perfectly and was installed in less than 10 minutes with no drilling. When I eventually got around to installing the visors in January, my experience was the same. Very good fit and, IMHO, an integrated look superior to other products I've seen, including WeatherTech. As for scratching your bottom window trim, my front visors had a protective clear tape located in that area for preventing such an incedent. :confused:

And long as I'm talking accessories, I must pass along an accessory resource that could save some of you money. I promise I have absolutely no vested interest in this place, only an interest in getting the best price for any accessory I decide to purchase. I have found no one that can beat their prices and they carry just about everything, even though their website is less than impressive. Their @ http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hdsrg. I tell my wife that I save more money with every accessory I buy! smile.gif

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: woundedbear ]</p>

Kennedy
06-18-2002, 08:34
I put in a set from Auto Vent Shade Company which I believe were the originators.

2 minutes per side TOPS, and works really well.

The only minor complaint is that the water now swirls around on the window near the mirror on a rainy day due to lack of airflow.

JEBar
06-18-2002, 17:13
Put Weather Tech vents on my D'max last October and on my daughter's Tahoe in December....both have performed as advertised, look very good and we couldn't be more pleased ;)

reelbob6.6
06-19-2002, 20:19
I bought an "Egr" hood bug deflector a couple of weeks ago and it looks good but my 2001 2500 HD ext. cab has developed a disturbing ticking noise like the flimsy roof is separating from the interior foam??? I removed the deflector and the noise is not there. what gives???

Thanks Bob

GrayMax
06-19-2002, 22:19
Weather Tech! Awesome, awesome, awesome. Easy install, secure and look great. Much better than the lame stick on type that look cheezy. I ordered my weather tech on the internet and they arrived on my front porch about 2-weeks later.

Reno DMAX
06-20-2002, 13:34
Is this accessory for looks only or are they actually functional. And just what is it they are supposed to do?

westies
06-20-2002, 21:11
I think they are functional. In rain, which we get lots of around here, you can drive with your window open a couple inches without soaking your door controls. With animals, you can crack all four windows and if it rains there will be no water inside the cab. Last and probably does not apply to many, if you smoke you will notice the smoke being drawn out the window. I do not think they add much to the looks of the vehicle, but at least the channel mounts are less noticeable than the stick-em-ups. smile.gif

Tim B
06-20-2002, 22:11
ReelBob6.6 -
You have a common problem. Solution is to remove the windshield molding on each side (4 screws under the rubber molding on each side). Clean the window and the underside of the molding. Then apply 3M double sided sticky tape on each vertical side of the window between the black molding and the window. Noise will be gone. The common opinion is that some deflectors change the airflow around those moldings causing them to flap. Mine made that noise above about 65 MPH. For more info do a search on 'wind noise' in the Trucks and Drivetrain forum.

Tim B.

Joe Pool
07-05-2002, 18:16
WeatherTech all the way. They look great on an Onyx CC SB. Excellent fit.

Joe :cool:

westies
07-06-2002, 19:43
For those using the Weather-tech shades. How does the rear shades fit on the dually? Thanks