PDA

View Full Version : CntrlCalDmax......Leo you out there? Question.

motovet
05-09-2003, 17:58
Leo, I recently installed my exhaust brake regulator in cab as you have. Question is how soon and how much difference do you see in back pressure when turning the dial? I am getting little or no change from minimum to maximum adjustment, almost like it isn't working at all. I have'nt had much time to use it , but see no change on the guage, and have a hard time feeling a difference. What do you think?

[ 05-09-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

motovet
05-13-2003, 17:46
?

CntrlCalDmax
05-22-2003, 17:49
Sorry I'm late. Just got back from 6,000 mile trip. I have changed my gage setup since I installed the Xmonitor which includes back pressure. I plumbed the analog gage in the console to the output of the compressor. I find that if I increase the regulator pressure the back pressure goes up in roughly the same proportion. If I decrease pressure I have to tap the throttle to unload the valve actuator and let it build up again to the lower setting. I don't know if the actuator hangs up a little on the open stroke or what, but this seems to work for me. I hope this answers your question.

Leo

On edit:

Are you monitoring the back pressure with a gage? I can get my back pressure up to 55 psi which is the maximum, but I have to have the pressure regulator cranked all the way up. I can also regulate it all the way down to 0. RPM makes a big difference on the "feel" of the brake. If you are coming down a 6-7% grade long enough for the grade braking to down shift into 3rd and then engage the exhaust brake it will flat slow you down. If I engage the brake while still in OD it will usually drop to 4th and I can then hold a steady speed on the worst hills with 10,000# in tow. Even on flat road when I drop below 50 mph and it drops into 4th I can feel it. Always in tow/haul for torque converter lock up.

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: CntrlCalDmax ]

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: CntrlCalDmax ]</p>

motovet
05-22-2003, 18:36
Leo, thanks for the reply. I am using a BD analog guage to read the back pressure. I can definately "feel" the brake work, what I meant is I can't feel any difference when turning the regulator. I would have to say my regulator is not working, I get no visual, nor can I feel a change minimum to maximum. Is something sticking? Or do I need to just call BD for another regulator?

CntrlCalDmax
05-22-2003, 19:30
I think the easiest troubleshooting would be to put a temporary gauge on the output of the regulator to the actuator and see what the regulator is doing. It sounds like the regulator isn

CntrlCalDmax
06-04-2003, 22:13
Hey moto,

Did you get your brake and air regulator working better?

motovet
06-06-2003, 18:20
Not yet. I had another regulator sent to me as it seemed obvious it was the culprit, but the new regulator gives the same resaults. I have had a hard time finding the fittings to do the testing on the regulator, but may have found a set up that may work wich I will try tonight. I have been talking with Larry from BD and he is a little confused as to what may be happening. He like myself feels it is the regulator, but two in a row? He did say he is going to mount a regulator in cab on their Duramax to try it out for himself. Maybe this will be the start of a factory design change? The in cab regulator idea you had was a good one, I just wish I could make it work for me. Also I did find some water in the original regulator wich I know is bad. Larry suggested I move the filter in cab to resolve that..or could I add a better design under the hood? I will keep you posted, and thanks for the help and concern so far. By the way, do you know of anyone else that has done this?

CntrlCalDmax
06-06-2003, 20:42
You and I are the only ones I know of.

If it helps, I have aircraft static system fittings that provide 100% seal on the plastic line supplied by BD. Unions, 90s, and Tees are available in many configurations. 90s, Tees and stright fittings can terminate in 1/8" pipe. Real easy to use and they are leak proof. Cheap too.

Leo

motovet
06-07-2003, 11:34
Leo, the regulator is working, but most of the adjustment is all the way out on the dial. I took it out for a test drive and am getting adjustability. I think I just didn't have it turned out enough before. I am only seeing 45 #'s max back pressure. Do you know the pressure switch rating on your compressor? Larry told me if I need more to up the switch rating....and I want more at times. Have you noticed water in your system? I found a bit more last night and will either run the filter in cab or possibly install a better system under the hood.

CntrlCalDmax
06-08-2003, 15:46
Moto,
Max pressure I can get out of the pump is 75 psi. I can get 55+ psi back pressure but have to be up in the 4,000+ RPM range. I've never found any water n the system. Where do you see the water?

motovet
06-09-2003, 00:45
There was some rusty old stuff in the old regulator when I took it off and was able to purge out a bit more with the lines off. I saw a tad more in the new regulator when I had the line off to rig up the test hose for the guage. I am definately getting water with the current set up. Larry at BD said this has been a problem for some and he has reccomended running the filter in the cab. I was thinking it would br easier to run a better filter under the hood?

motovet
07-01-2003, 00:26
Leo, put in the 120 psi pressure switch and now can acheive 50# of back pressure at only 2000 RPM. This is the adjustability I was hoping for.What brakes!?

CntrlCalDmax
07-01-2003, 21:15
120 psi :eek: :eek:
Will that little pump motor turn out that kind of pressure? I gota get one. Now I can only get 65 psi when used to air up tires. :D

CntrlCalDmax
07-02-2003, 16:37
Moto,

Do you have a name of someone at BD that knows of the new switch? leot@corpair.com

Thanks

motovet
07-02-2003, 17:52
The last name escapes me but the first is Larry. I guess he is the only Larry there as I have talked with him a few times. He is the guy that did the design for these brakes. The switch is a 120PSI for the Firestone air ride kit, but I would talk to Larry first. When I ordered the switch from sales they had to consult with Larry anyway to get the part #. I think it was around 30-$40 American, and it works GOOD.