PDA

View Full Version : air compressor

imported_
08-31-2002, 17:02
Has anybody retro fitted an A/C style pump on the Dmax to be used as an air compressor? I found the VMAC web site but for the amount of $$$$$ they want for it forgtet it.

I have used York A/C compressors on other trucks but it will not work.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive belt driven air system?

Cheers

Brad

More Power
08-31-2002, 17:56
Moved to "2500HD/3500 Accessories"

utilitydmax22
08-31-2002, 20:16
Yes I have a air compressor installed on mine. It is a sanden compressor. Got it from Extreme Outback, 8 cfm. Installed on 2001 dmax. Had to fab brackets and you can play a tune on the belt. BUt it works great, Runs air tools, what ever. Have two 5 gallon tanks under truck.

imported_
08-31-2002, 20:28
utilitydmax22,

Did you mount it on the top driverside part of the engine (where my second alt is :( ) or on the lower passenger side.

What belt are you using?

Do you know the model of the sanden?

Are the sandens self oiling like a York pump?

cheers

Brad

Maverick
09-01-2002, 02:20
Please talk on gentlemen.....this I am interested in.

Found this. Mount it anywhere.

http://www.onboardair.com/trailhead.htm

[ 09-01-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

hoot
09-01-2002, 06:12
Isn't there an issue with oil in the A/C compressors??? A/C systems have oil in the refrigerant.

chevmeister
09-01-2002, 07:09
Check out truckn-store.com they have one. a friend of mine ordered one. They sent the wrong one first time but hope to see it next week. It mounts where the second alt goes. Im not sure what belt you have to have but ill give details as soon as i get them. Oil is not supposed to be needed for these models?? dunno how?

imported_
09-01-2002, 08:58
Hoot,

I know the York A/C has its own oil resevoir, and I believe so do some of the sanden's. The problem with the york is that it is very tall and would have to be mounted where my second alt is. The diagram for belt routing on my truck shows an accessory for a vaccuum pump on the passenger side of the engine.

Has anyone seen this pump or know what it is used for? It looks like it would be a bear of a place to work on but who knows.

Maverick,

The electric pump you found is basicaly a winch motor attached to a York A/c pump as a direct drive. Makes sense and is portable but for $675US there has to be a better alternative.

Cheers

Brad

et
09-01-2002, 10:00
Like the York, the Sanden has its own oil reservoir. The model detailed at the following link looks like a good candidate for an onboard compressor.

http://www.sanden.com/products/piston7.html

Check out Sanden's site for further details. eBay has Sandens once in a while at fair prices if you can't find one in a local salvage yard.

utilitydmax22
09-01-2002, 21:23
I mounted it where the the extra alternator goes. I use a 121" belt. Two 6 gallon tanks are mounted under truck on driver side b/t front and rear seat. I have had mine on now for 28000 miles no prob. It has a grease fitting and supposidly from sanden a stock compressor will not work the air ones are converted with special seals. My works at least 2 x a week. RUns air tools. It will fill my 285 from 20 lbs to 65 in about 130seconds at idle and witht the high idle about 50 seconds. The hose temp is a problem I bought steel braided but it has blown throgh that and i have rubbed the power steering hose into. All that is fixed now got some themo pipe guard rated at 2000f and avraison restant will post pics as soon as i clean the underside. (very muddy and oily from when the hose broke.

et
09-01-2002, 22:45
Here is additional information on the installation of a five lope Sanden compressor.
http://www.eugenestuff.com/Tomair/Installation/installation.html

If you do a search on 4 wheeler air compressors installations, you will find more examples. I believe there is an example on one of the F o r d Forums.

The stock York or Sanden air conditioner compressors works fine without special seals. You can usually find five loped Sandens for between $35 to $100. The seven loped Sandens are newer and more efficient but costs more and are harder to find used.

imported_
09-01-2002, 22:55
Thanks et & dmax22,

I was out scrounging junk yards in the rain today and couldn't find what I was looking for. Better luck in the sunshine I hope.

I'll keep you posted

cheers

Brad