PDA

View Full Version : Remote Engine Starter

glamisboy
08-28-2002, 23:31
Has anyone had a remote starter added to their Duramax ? If so, are there any pros/cons to having this added. Does anyone know if GM make's a remote starter that I could simply plug into the factory wiring without having to slice-n-dice the wires? If not what's a good brand?

Cancerman
08-29-2002, 06:37
I had the Clifford installed in April.
Have not used it much in the summer, but expect to use it more this winter.

The problem I have had is if I use the remote to start it while the engine is still warm. I get a SES light. Called OnStar and they said there was no code being displayed?

I got it more for the alarm than the remote start, as these trucks are easy to steal!

Riverholic
08-29-2002, 22:31
I have the Viper 550 ESP alarm and remote start combo. It works great! I can hit the remote start while its running and it stays idling for 10 minutes to allow for the motor to cool down. I only do this after I have been towing for an extensive amount of time. I have had it for about 6 months and no problems!!

Hammer Down
08-30-2002, 22:10
I have a astro start installed on my Dmax. It works awsome and the range on it is outstanding. After the truck is running the on board computer calls the little remote back and lets you know that your truck is running, which is a great feature when you can't see your pickup.

FrozenAKJoe
08-30-2002, 23:48
I have a Viper system and have had a few problems.

1.) Truck will randomly shut down and immediately start up again when started with the remote. It will repeat this start-stop routine until the ignition is turned and brake applied.

2.) Only my roof lights operate when the lock/unlock button is pressed. They should flash once for lock, twice for unlock.

I recently had my truck back in for warranty service on this autostart. With winter coming and my use of the autostart increasing, I can only hope they've fixed the problem.

AKDmax
08-31-2002, 00:34
HammerDown, you mind posting some pics of your sound system and monitors. How are your 10's mounted?

c5dura
08-31-2002, 05:35
Do these remote starters wait until the "wait to start" light goes out before cranking the engine?

Nels
08-31-2002, 06:56
The starter will wait for the glow plugs. I think its a programable timed delay, rather than a direct connection to the 'wait' light. Works well.

It is interesting that Hammer Down brought up the call back 'running' indicator. I was just discussing this very thing with a friend on Thursday. Mine has no real indicator to verify that the truck is actually running, although it can be programed to try again in the case of a no start. The only external indicator I get is that the exterior lights light up when it is activated (including the headlights). I can see my truck from the window where I work, and it is very handy to hit the remote to start it just before I punch out, and come to a vehicle with a partially warmed engine (at least loosened up from the cold in the winter) that is ready to drive off. The problem is I worry about a no-start and having the headlights burning in the cold without alternator support.

The retry feature is nice, but an actual indicator to verify it is running would be added piece of mind. I'm working on that very thing right now. I'm thinking about something that will be turned on when te oil pressure comes up, or a voltage sensitive circuit to light up an indicator when the 14+ volts comes up from the alternator.

JEBar
08-31-2002, 16:16
Hammer Down ... info on your astro start system would be appreciated ... purchase source, difficulty of installation and price would be very helpful ... thanks .... Jim

FirstDiesel
08-31-2002, 17:17
JEBar

Here are 2 links I got off the web.

http://www.astroflex.com/english/products.html

This is the manufacturer.

http://www.kltz.com/tirerama/astro.html

This was a dealer

Hope it helps??

BTW, does it get that cold in NC?? smile.gif

c5dura
09-02-2002, 08:23
One more question. How do these systems interact with the OEM remote alarm system?

Does the new fob completely replace the factory one? In other words, does the aftermarket remote lock/unlock the doors just like the factory unit would?

Nels
09-02-2002, 08:42
Once you have the remote starter installed, you use the new fob you get with the starter system. The OEM fobs get filed away. The new fob has lock/unlock buttons (labelled arm/disarm on mine) for your doors & alarm system.

My remote starter (Code alarm) utilizes the factory alarm system. I had some trouble initially with the setup (fixed now) whereby the truck would crank but not start due to the security system overriding it. The security system apparently looks for a specified voltage (or resistance?) on one of the terminals to enable the computer to allow it to start. The remote starter system has to duplicate this in order for the truck to start. It was a simple adjustment to fix it.

The point is, the remote starter works with the existing security system. The only difference you will notice is the new key fobs you get (and the antenna thingy on the inside of the windshield).

carnutsx2
09-03-2002, 09:17
Just a few tips from an old installer. There are just a few manufactures of car alarms, most people have them built by someone else and put there name on them. This is not a problem but if you have your truck for a long time and you loose or brake your remotes in years to come you may be in for a shock finding out the your alarm company isn't around. Most autostart problems are caused by the install not the product, find the best installer you can. Some of the autostart units still use a timer in diesel mode, this may only be a problem in super cold weather. Try and get the alarm and autostart unit as one, less wires and no chance of not interfacing.
The new cool thing is 2 way paging, this just lets the alarm send your remote information i.e. are the doors locked, is the shock sensor being set off, is the truck running. As an added bonus you get much better range (they say up to 1 mile) , the down side is they cost more.
The aftermarket alarm can simply not use the factory alarm or you can turn the factory alarm on and off with the aftermarket alarm (more labor $) . In terms of time, a good installer will take 6-8 hours to do a clean unrushed install of a full blown alarm with autostart. It can be done much quicker but if you have to come back is it worth it?
Nels: most autostarts turn on the parking lights when running. If they fail to start they wont come on.
Glamisboy: they make a plug in harness but you would still have to cut 75% of the wires
JEBar: its not that hard it just takes time and some hand tools. Plan for a weekend. You should be able to find a remote start with alarm for about $100-$110 or $200 range with 2 way paging, the rest is labor. I hope this helps