PDA

View Full Version : Any one know how many miles they can run on the Transfer flow 56 gal. untill empty

cowboywildbill
05-01-2003, 20:22
I am trying to figure out if my guage is reading true. It is my first tank of fuel on this new tank install and I have gone 690 miles and I'm showing just below a 1/4 tank. I am driving a Crew Cab Dually. D/Max Allison.I want to find out how far I can push it, but I don't want to run out of fuel. I guess I just don't trust the guage yet. If anyone can tell me how many miles they have run on a full tank I would appreciate it. I tied to commpute the mpg, but I heard that these 56 gallon tanks can actully hold 61 gallons. So that kind of makes me wonder. Thanks

gardnerteam
05-01-2003, 20:39
Just after I installed my tank in Dec 01, I drove from Bend Oregon to Kingman, AZ straight through without fueling in between (about 1,000 miles give or take) and filled in Kingman at a cardlock taking on 55 gallons. Guage was showing totally dry. Haven't tried it since. (yes, I had a 5 gal jerry can of diesel in the bed just in case - nerveracking the last few miles at night)

cowboywildbill
05-04-2003, 19:39
Gardenerteam, thanks for the reply. I had to loan my truck to someone before I could run it down to showing empty on the guage. They filled it up for me and I will have to start over with my milage vs guage reading, I'm not compplaining about the fillup though.I think a 1,000 miles sounds about right, I will carry some extra fuel just in case when I see the low fuel light come on. When you said you added 55 gallons, wow that is close to 56! I read somewhere else on the forum that the Transfer flow tank will really hold about 60 or 61 gallons on the initial fill up. I can't remember how much I really put in on the first fill up because I put in about 11 galllons from two jerry cans, and then drove about 20 miles to get to the pumps. Thanks again for the response.

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]</p>

ndamico
05-05-2003, 19:42
I'm not sure about the 56, but i've put 48 in my 45..

cowboywildbill
05-05-2003, 20:49
It sounds like there is extra room for expansion in these tanks, and maybe that is why they hold a little more than they are rated for. Thanks.

Jack's Dmax
05-06-2003, 02:42
When I had a TFI 45 gal tank installed at their factory, I was told that the tanks typicaly hold 10% more than there rated capacity. This extra capacity is meant to allow for expansion so that fuel doesn't vent out the filler.

DuramaxDicko
05-06-2003, 09:15
Anyone that has the 56 gal, does the tank sit lower then the factory tank?
I have heard rumors that the 56 does sit lower..
thanks

dl537
05-06-2003, 09:55
I would imagine that the 56 gal. tank sits lower. I have the 45gal and it sits lower than the frame at the rear. It really is not a problem for clearence, unless you are doing some serious off-roading. Ask them about the testing they do on these tanks for strength, you will be impressed.

TBC
05-06-2003, 20:51
I don't know about the transfer flow tank but my 41 gal tank from Northern Tool has run me approx 650 - 700 miles several times combo city and hwy. I run it till it hits empty on the gauge and it will take 39 gal every time. I pushed it one time so long the engine apparently sucked some air and it caused it go into limp mode and turned on the SES light. This happen with my TT in the mountains. That was an experience. The code it sets is large fuel leak. It finally reset the light after several cycles of starting the engine. Don't intend to do that again.

Tom