PDA

View Full Version : 03 stereo install

David Proske
04-30-2003, 13:03
Has anybody replaced the factory stereo unit on a 03? When I went to buy a adapter harness today I was told that you have to buy a special harness that has a long pigtail for you to relocate the factory unit somewhere in the truck. They said you have to keep the factory stereo cause it controls the door locks,airbags and other stuff....

Is this true or do they just want to sell their special harness?

Wayne Dohnal
04-30-2003, 16:41
Don't take this as the final word because I don't have first-hand experience, but from reading through the service manual the only thing I'd expect you to lose is the obnoxiously-loud chimes.

David Proske
04-30-2003, 18:58
That is what I have seen as well, and I sure wouldn't complain about loosing the door chimes as they almost make the dogs howl in the back yard.

BTW, I don't have the silly On Star; as I am sure that would complacate this further.

I had the stealer install a alarm upgrade, I'm not sure what they tied into.

I might install my deck the standard way and see what happens. If all I loose is the door chime I'll throw a party :D

David Proske
04-30-2003, 19:17
BTW, the front doors are a little different on the 03. To get the panal off there is a screw behind the handle, and behind the lock. The mirror and window assembly stays in the panal.

ski
04-30-2003, 22:01
checkout jpcustoms.com, the are very close to an adapter for the 03s if it has not already been released. marketing says it will allow you to keep onstar (if you choose), use of steering wheel controls and maybe one other feature. good luck.

carnutsx2
05-04-2003, 10:59
I dont know who JP customs buys from but check out go2pac.com and check the stuff out. I sell some of there converters and have had great luck with them.