PDA

View Full Version : lets talk PREDATOR--please

Cobra One
03-17-2003, 01:53
I am about to take the plunge and buy the Predator. I'd like to hear from you who already own it and have had it in awhile and feel you can make an honest evlauation, why you like it or why I shouldn't buy one. Be honest!!
Thanks, John

sdaver
03-17-2003, 08:19
GOOD FIRST EFFORT.............LOTS STILL PROMISED. If you have never driven a juiced truck you will be impressed. The realtime data is impressive and the speed limiter can be raised to 125 on a 02 110 on a 01(why?110 on 01 who knows). Performance seems to be more in the upper rpm levels whereas the juice starts from the begining.. :D dave........Im gonna do some dyno testing soon and compare the TTS reflash, 4.61 hot juice and the predator along with some selective stacking and I will tell all :D

Paintdude
03-17-2003, 18:54
If I get anything I think the Preditor makes the most sence to me..But, what do I know?

mackin
03-18-2003, 17:57
Where's all the chatter......

We couldn't get enough of this subject prior to the release......

Where's RWTD ??

MAC tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

On edit: How does the real time OBD II work ?? Any good?? No good?? Screen to small to moniter while driving ?? Need co-pilot,to hold not drive,what are you nuts??

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Dave S
03-19-2003, 11:07
I had a Predator, it worked as advertised with the exception of the Boost and Baro monitoring parameters. They were not monitored even though the parameters were listed on the screen of the tool. With regards to real time monitoring, IMO, the only safe way to perform this activity is to have a passenger along for the ride or use data recording software such as Autotap loaded on a laptop. Regarding performance, the power seemed delayed or stock-like at low rpms in 1st gear, then came on strong as boost levels rose at higher rpm's with defueling before and during shifts. Keep in mind I do not have any other Duramax power adder experience to compare the Predator to and that may have been more a result of GM's torque management than a characteristic of the Predator. While my truck performed flawlessly when reprogrammed, changing the power level requires the driver to pull over, shut down, connect the tool (if not already connected) and reprogram a different power level, the entire procedure takes less than 5 min to perform. Not a big deal but worth noting. Being familiar with the potential of ECM or PCM editing software such as LT1 Edit, Tunercat, etc. I firmly believe in the reflash method of performance enhancements for GM products, however the Predator left me wanting more power, along with the ability to change power levels without stopping to reprogram. Last but not least, James, or RWTD, as some of you may know him as, offered very prompt and courteous customer service and I would not hesitate to recommend doing business with him.

c5dura
03-19-2003, 13:46
I would love to see same day dyno runs on the same truck w/ 4" exhaust of the following products:

TTS Powerloader 125hp
Hot Juice L4 120hp
Hot Juice L3 90hp
Predator 115hp
Predator 85hp
Stock

Then take the same truck to the track and run it down the 1/4 with each box and in stock form and film each event so we can judge the level of smoke produced.

I think a lot of folks were disappointed that the Predator did not appear to perform at the same level as the Juice in the 90 hp setting and that might be why the chatting has died down.

sdaver
03-19-2003, 15:21
c5 after saturday your wish will come true I now have all of those in hand and will dyno on saturday.......... :D dave

james said he would email the up load for the hotter predator if he could not attend...........my cannon dig camera takes video clips I will try get some for smoke comparison :D

[ 03-19-2003: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

Dave S
03-19-2003, 15:36
Hey Dave,
Do you have the TST PowerMax?

c5dura
03-19-2003, 15:36
sdaver, that is just awesome! This forum rocks! :D :D

C5Dura

sdaver
03-19-2003, 15:38
no tst ......send me one we will dyno it :D

mackin
03-21-2003, 18:53
sdaver

Get the truck cleaned up,and a good nites rest.....

You have lots of typing to do.....

We's waiting for the results......

MAC

:D :eek: :D

Kennedy
03-21-2003, 19:03
Dave,

You shoulda asked about the TST!

The 115hp Predator program will NOT be available I'm sure.

The Predator has true potential, but like it's predecessors will need a few tweaks. I was hoping to do some dyno testing this weekend, but the dyno lost a sensor.

Ed
03-22-2003, 20:51
Trapped a predator. Received my predator when out immediately to install the program. Was a snap. First road test driven normally, didn't have as much low end torque as my 3.5 EZ amp. Truck ran smooth, operated fine.

First full bore run set 4 codes. Went into limp mode. Shut truck off, restarted, truck worked fine.

Speed limitor set at 110 max - 01 truck. Truck did not respond to new setting, limited out at 95.
Took predator off, put EZ amp back on and ran for a week.

Saturday morning took EZ amp off,installed 40 HP setting from predator and 110 speed limit setting.
Also installed EZ amp 90 HP setting. Out on the road - drove easy to see how the truck would act.
Ran smooth, quiet, and the response was impressive. Tried truck on full bore run, truck ran excellent. Very little defueling. Hit 100MPH and ran out of road due to traffic.

Stopped and started again using a little boost off line. S--t my Depends!! Should have surgeon general warning - "may be addicitve". Things got totally out of control!! :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

sdaver
03-23-2003, 20:25
DYNOED FOR HOURS...........GOT NOTHING.......COMPUTER SOFTWARE GLITCH......COULD NOT EVEN MAKE A BASELINE RUN......GOING TO TRY AGAIN ONE EVENING THIS WEEK AFTER THE DYNO GUY HAS SOME SERIOUS CONVERSATIONS WITH DYNO SUPPLIER..........IT WAS NICE TO MEET BURNER(RICHARD)AND HE BECAME THE NEWEST MEMBER TO THE HOT JUICE STRIPE CLUB...........COURTESY OF MY HOT JUICE........ HE STILL HAS IT AND IS CALLING IT HIS JUICE..........VERY FRUSTRATING DEALING WITH THE GLITCHES...............ON A PREDATOR NOTE SHOULD HAVE THE HOT VERSION TO DYNO LATER THIS WEEK........IVE GOT TO PUT THE STOCK COMPUTER BACK IN MY TRUCK LOAD THE PERFORMANCE SETTINGS DOWNLOAD THE SETTINGS TO A FILE AND SEND TO JAMES TO HAVE THE NEW FILES INSTALLED.........THE FILES ARE READY BUT MY VIN INFO HAS TO BE ADDED........JAMES HAS TO SEND THE FILE TO DIABLO TO ADD THE FILES AND EMAIL BACK TO ME.......... :D DAVE

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

c5dura
03-24-2003, 08:46
Did the problems with the Dyno have to do with the truck being a diesel, or was it a brand new dyno that hadn't been "broken in yet", or?

What kind of dyno was it?

C5Dura

sdaver
03-24-2003, 14:23
NEW DYNO........NEW OPERATOR.....SECOND DIESEL TRUCK....MINE WAS ALSO THE FIRST A FEW MONTHS AGO....SIMILAR RESULTS :confused: THEIR WORKING ON IT......DAVE

heartbeatcanada
03-24-2003, 17:14
sdaver

Just wondering when you go and dyno, are you going to do some stacking :eek: I am curious as i am currently running the predator at 60hp and the edge at level 2 (hot version, i think it's 70hp if i remember correctly). It seems to run pretty strong and damn close to the "hot juice" as seat of the pants feel. The shifts seem to be as close as stock as you can get with no defueling, but still with the authority of the 120hp. Never once limped it with the 120hp(no idea why, as trust me i stress tested it)but can limp it with this set-up, every time in 5th(obviously).
Good luck with the dyno, as i'm anxious to see some numbers. Been meaning to do the same myself, but just can't seem to nail down a time.(too damn busy, gotta work to get that tranny upgraded :D ) Not sure if i am allowed to say too much, but let me know what you thought of the 115hp Predator. I'll see if i can disclose anymore info. :eek:

sdaver
03-24-2003, 20:07
THERE WILL DEFINITELY BE SOME PRED/HJ STACKING I RATHER LIKE THE PRED40/WITH THE HJ125..........ILL TRY YOUR FAVORITE ALSO.......DAVE