PDA

View Full Version : Sirrus Satellite Radio

TBC
03-15-2003, 23:02
How many out there are using Sirrus and how do you like it? Has it met your expectations? Is it work the monthly fee? I have heard that they are in financial trouble and that it is not as good as XM radio. Give me your thoughts and comments please.

Tom

Eric Alan
03-16-2003, 07:25
Tom, I put in a Delphi XM radio last month in my truck. When I went around to all the different salesmen each side spoke out against the other. Its quite confusing and even with shops that sell both, I think they push the one they get the most margin on or has the best promotion.

FOr my part eh decision came down to GM backing XM. It is unlikely that in the near future XM will go away with that kind of support.

For the network itself, its great! My driving travel has gone up considerably and this is a great way to be entertained.

One last note: I tried the antenna that the radio came with and basically it gave lousy reception. I switched to the through glass TERK mounted on the rear glass behind me and its great!

Good Luck!

Eric.

NutNbutGMC
03-16-2003, 07:38
^...XM radio and NASCAR channel 144. 'Nuff said.

jannal
03-16-2003, 08:41
I have had XM radio for more then a year now and I am very satisfied with it. If satellite radio survives I believe that XM radio has the best chance given the GM backing and the fact that they have far more subscribers. I think that both companies had their hopes up that the subscription rate would increase with the factory radio

FirstDiesel
03-16-2003, 09:23
I don't have these units but I always thought XM would be the survivor based on the GM support and the fact that Sirius declared bankruptcy a few months ago. Things are a little more confusing though because even though Sirius is in bankruptcy they have quite a few of the car manufacturers pick them. Ford and a few others are onboard and they actually have more car makers offering them now than XM has. I don't take it as a good sign that the Sirius website is off line though.

Here is a list of the Sirius partners:
BMW, Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz, Jeep, Mazda, Dodge, Freightliner and Sterling Trucks, Ford, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, Porsche

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

ccds
03-16-2003, 18:17
Eric Allen:

"One last note: I tried the antenna that the radio came with and basically it gave lousy reception. I switched to the through glass TERK mounted on the rear glass behind me and its great!"

can you give me the TERk antenna model # if possible. You can post it here or email me my address is at the end of my signature. I tried to find it on Best Buy site but did not find the through the glass model.

Thanks

duane

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: ccds ]</p>

DMAXDiva
03-16-2003, 19:19
TBC:

I have Sirius in the truck and XM in the Vette, and I must say that since I have had the opportunity to compare the two, I like XM much more than Sirius. Don't know why, but the XM signal seems "crisper" than the Sirius, even though both are run through very similar high-end sound systems and both utilize the Terk antenna (rear roof-mount on the truck, underhood-mount in the car). In addition, I like the channel selections more in the XM.

DMD

Eric Alan
03-18-2003, 18:51
Hi Duane, the model I used was the Terk-SR1X.

The link is below...

http://www.terk.com/pdfs/TRKSR1X_DS.pdf

It has a very nice feature of a clip which gets put on when you go through a car wash whcih hold the antenna flat to the glass. Works well.

ccds
03-19-2003, 06:22
Eric Alan:

Thanks for the information.

smile.gif

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
03-19-2003, 07:32
I have the xm and love it. It works great, cost to cost with no station change or re-tuneing.
The Alaskan Kid

--Big Boys Toys:
My Dura-MaxDiesel, -- 2000 Harley -Davidson Fat Boy (Perlescent White & Chrome)
Member # 5293 Member since October 2000
VIN# 1GTHK29182E242061

Summit White 2002 SIERRA 2500 HD 4WD Extended Cab SLT
Duramax Alison Long Bed
G80 Locking Rear Differential
Dual Alternators
Heavy Duty Trailering Equipt
Electronic Shift Transfer Case
Electric Rear Window Defogger
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Off Road Skid Plate
Ext Electric Heated Mirrors
Wiring Provisions For Camper
A.R.E. CH Cab High Cap With Glass Windoors
Line X Spray in under Rails Bed Liner
Full Carpet Bed Rug
DTA Chrome Plated Stainless Running Boards
DTA Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tail Gate Lock
56 Gallon Transfer Flow Fuel Tank & Fast Fill Neck
Futomo Drain Valve
Invinca-Shield
Jordan Ultima Brake Controller
Xm radio
Vent Shades
Under Seat Storage Box
Ziebarted
Color Matched Front Catch All Mats
Garman Street Pilot
Amsoil Two Stage Air Filter
Amsoil Lubricants All the way

On order
Banks, giant Monster Air Out, Banks Computer Controlled Exhaust Brake (Arrived Today) will install soon.Alaskan Kid

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
03-19-2003, 07:35
I have the xm and love it. It works great, coast to coast with no station change or re-tuneing.
The Alaskan Kid

--Big Boys Toys:
My Dura-MaxDiesel, -- 2000 Harley -Davidson Fat Boy (Perlescent White & Chrome)
Member # 5293 Member since October 2000
VIN# 1GTHK29182E242061

Summit White 2002 SIERRA 2500 HD 4WD Extended Cab SLT
Duramax Alison Long Bed
G80 Locking Rear Differential
Dual Alternators
Heavy Duty Trailering Equipt
Electronic Shift Transfer Case
Electric Rear Window Defogger
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Off Road Skid Plate
Ext Electric Heated Mirrors
Wiring Provisions For Camper
A.R.E. CH Cab High Cap With Glass Windoors
Line X Spray in under Rails Bed Liner
Full Carpet Bed Rug
DTA Chrome Plated Stainless Running Boards
DTA Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tail Gate Lock
56 Gallon Transfer Flow Fuel Tank & Fast Fill Neck
Futomo Drain Valve
Invinca-Shield
Jordan Ultima Brake Controller
Xm radio
Vent Shades
Under Seat Storage Box
Ziebarted
Color Matched Front Catch All Mats
Garman Street Pilot
Amsoil Two Stage Air Filter
Amsoil Lubricants All the way

On order
Banks, giant Monster Air Out, Banks Computer Controlled Exhaust Brake (Arrived Today) will install soon.Alaskan Kid

ccds
03-19-2003, 19:05
fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa:

take a minute & read this post by more power:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=000007&p=

smile.gif

mattb5150
03-20-2003, 00:23
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you can get Rush Limbaugh's show on XM? Also does anyone using XM drive thru mountainous terrain with lots of tree cover where satellite signals may be interrupted. If so any loss of signal?

Matt B.

thechevyhdman
03-20-2003, 07:45
Matt, I often lose signal when driving through "canopy" tree cover. You will also lose signal when driving under bridges. When I installed my Terk, mouse antenna it stated it should be angled between 20-60 degrees. I dont know the reasoning on that, and maybe thats why I lose signal? I know when I travel under small 2 lane bridges XM will fuzz out, and then sometimes when I drive under a huge underpass like say 400 feet, I dont lose signal at all. As for Rushie I dont know check out XM.com....Im sure they can answer that. Heck out of 100 channels he has to be on one of them. I will say I havent listened to anything but XM since I installed it in Oct. I will never ever go back to AM/FM again.

jannal
03-20-2003, 07:59
I don

bigbobed
03-20-2003, 08:03
No Rush on XM. They say they can't get him as he is syndicated on local stations.
I've only lost signal once. I was going down a very narrow pass in the PA mountains and the signal went in and out.
I went through a city in OH where the pollution was so bad that I lost my gps signal but XM kept on ticking.

TBC
03-24-2003, 23:35
You guys surprised me. I thought somebody would be using Sirius.

After some investigating of their potential longevity I was satisfied they will be around a while. One big influence was that I bought the Jensen receiver set for $10.00 at Best Buy on a last one rebate sale. This is a $200.00 plus set. I had it installed and had to buy the modulator, RCA cable, and antenna. It works great. I thought it was neat to find news I could depend on during my return trip to Amarillo without losing it and no static. Looks like it will do well.

Tom

johns
03-28-2003, 08:17
Sirius had declared bankruptcy but got an injection of financing from an outside source. XM is financed by GM is why I got the XM. Like others here said, I think it has the best chance of survival.

I've had XM for about a year now. Went from NJ to TX and back and never had to touch the radio except on Saturday and Sunday when the NASCAR races were on.