PDA

View Full Version : What socket is needed???

GBurton
03-15-2003, 16:57
I give up! :mad:
What is the proper name/model/size for the very special nuts that GM used to bolt down the seats in these trucks? My truck is a 2001 LT and I need to unbolt one of the front seats.

George

FirstDiesel
03-15-2003, 20:12
Wow George

You made me go out to the truck and look. I don't have a clue, I've never seen those before. When you find out let us know.

motovet
03-15-2003, 20:53
George, Isn't that a dandy setup? I had my seats out a while back. The rear bolts are 14 Torx, available most places. The front nuts however are bigger than anyone I found carry. You can get them off with a 15mm twelve point though. Have fun.

GBurton
03-17-2003, 16:46
Well it appears that those nuts are known as "external star". I was told that it is an E-20 size socket. However, as was suggested, I was able to remove and replace them using either a 5/8" 6-point or a 15mm 6-point socket. I did not need to remove the rear bolts but just for grins :D I looked at the rear bolts. Guess what, yep a different size, it looked like an E-18 socket would fit. Why, the robotic assembly people only know that answer. The local Chevy dealer purchased thier special socket from Snap-On (the big boys & girls [Divamax smile.gif ] toy truck)

George

c5dura
05-06-2003, 19:36
I was about to post about what the heck socket I need to get the front seats out of my '02 LT crew cab. I'll try the 15mm socket trick.

Btw, my rear seats came out using a regular socket. Guess the crew cab is different than the extended cab?

Btw, how heavy are those electric front seats? (I was able to wrestle out the large rear bench by myself, but it was a biatch). I have a feeling the front buckets weigh a lot more???

(I'm in the process of sound deadening my interior in case you're wondering why I'm ripping out my seats)

motovet
05-08-2003, 13:22
The front seats are not to heavy. I did not remove my rear seats, just tilted them forward and back to access the floor. But from what I remember the front seats are lighter than the rear bench. The 15mm will work fine on those front nuts. How is the rest of the project going? I did not answer your post on the other thread because we went on vacation for a while. The tropical weather was great, but I did miss the truck a bit...is that wrong?

c5dura
05-08-2003, 13:38
Motovet, things are moving along, but slowly due to me having way to many projects going at once (as always). But so far I got 2 layers in the front doors against the outside skins and the rear doors stripped down and ready to start applying the 1st layer. I also got a single layer on the rear metal and once I rip out the front seats, I'll get the floor done. My first roll of brown bread is going fast, looks like I need to order up another one soon.

I got my 4 gauge run to the rear amps and 14 gauge speaker wire to the front doors (through the factory groumets). Since I'm not mounting the xovers on the doors, I plan on using the factory speaker wire for the tweeters. I will likely end up using the factory speaker wire for the rear doors since I don't see how I can snake aftermarket cables through the factory groumets. Not a big deal since I'll only be running mid bass in the rear doors so as to not screw up my imaging.

Btw, those rear factory plastic speaker cradles will just barely NOT hold a 6.5 speaker. Not the temporary Pioneers I had, nor the JL components that will mount there permanently. I need to get them reamed out a little somehow. I also need to get my hands on a 1.75" hole saw to drill out the factory tweeter plates so that I can flush mount my JL Audio tweeters onto those same plates.

But I need to get all this done soon because I need the truck to pick up materials for some of my other projects. Guess I could just hook the batteries back up and find a box to sit on while driving. :D :D

[ 05-08-2003: Message edited by: c5dura ]</p>

Silver Bullet
05-08-2003, 13:57
I call those damn things inverted torx...not sure if that is the proper name, but it is better than a thang-a-ma-bobber!!! :D

[ 05-08-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

motovet
05-08-2003, 23:46
c5, glad to hear all is going well. Putting it together is fun and rewarding. Then you have a kicking system to listen to while you think of other things to do to the truck.