PDA

View Full Version : Pop N Lock Electric Tailgate Lock Note

DMAX Daddy
03-14-2003, 18:56
Recently my electric tailgate lock has become a pain in the butt. It wasn't my wiring, but wiring internal to the lock itself.

Before you install, or if you are having problems, make sure to support the green and blue wire going into the solenoid. I looped these wires around on the bottom then used a bunch of wraps of electrical tape to keep them in place and keep the internal connection from supporting the weight of the wires.

So far, it has worked. Shoulda thought of it to begin with. :confused:

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: DMAX Daddy ]</p>

Jim Cobler
03-14-2003, 20:54
Now you have me worrying.

I had a professional installer put mine in and I am betting he did not support the wire as you suggest. Did your problems start intermittently or just quit working all at once?

RichBailey
03-14-2003, 21:50
I believe that the design of the pnl unit is not done very well. The heavy solenoid is mounted on the end of a long slender metal bracket. Whenever you close the tailgate it rattles back and forth rather dramatically.

After I installed the pnl unit, I was very disturbed by the amount of rattling noise the unit made when the tailgate was closed. I took the entire unit out and after measuring it carefully, I installed a nutsert on the long bracket. I then drilled the inside of the tailgate and hard mounted the long bracket using a ss screw and an inside spacer.

Yes, it takes a little longer to do, but there is absolutely no movement of the unit in the tailgate. No electrical problems to date.

DMAX Daddy
03-14-2003, 23:52
Mine started all at once. After we bought furniture too, I just pulled the entire thing out right there and pulled the rods to lower the tailgate.

Its not that hard to take out, two quick disconnects for the pull rods, three bolts from inside the tailgate, but aligning it when you put it back in is like putting a puzzle together.

Just hope you dont have trouble smile.gif