PDA

View Full Version : Dual-mass flywheel trouble?

luvthesmellofdiesel
03-13-2003, 16:31
I apologize if this posts twice. I didn't look like it worked the first time...

I have a '02 K2500 4x4 ZF6 that is making a lot of racket right at the pressure point of the clutch and at low RPM high torque. I at first thought it was the throw-out bearing in the clutch but I only have 16,000 miles on it and I don't ride the clutch, so I couldn't imagine.

The guy at the dealership said it was likely something to do with the dual-mass flywheel. What is a dual-mass flywheel? Why would it wear out so fast? Is this a common problem?

Thanks,
Tim White

CPMac632
03-13-2003, 20:43
Yep it sounds like he is right, your dual mass sounds like the first one I had replaced at 17k. It is common for them to fail that way.

RealBigTruck
03-14-2003, 00:20
Recently had the same problem at about 24,000 miles. They replaced the throw-out bearing and flywheel under warranty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen at 48,000 miles.

Now, if I could just get the damned intake air heater relay to work longer than 10,000 miles I'd be all set. Had it replaced for the 3rd time today.

luvthesmellofdiesel
03-14-2003, 10:12
After I posted, I found several threads in the other forum about this subject. It appears to me the dual-mass flywheel is a poor design. At least one person had had their's replaced 3 times, once about every 15-16K miles. This is not good. Since those of us who own the ZF6 combination are few and far between compared to the Ally slushers, I wonder if GM has come up with a new design, or a regular/normal one-piece flywheel that can be used to keep this from happening. Anyone know why we have a dual-mass flywheel? What is the purpose of it? Is it related to removal of drivetrain shock back on the engine possibly? Usually there's simply a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate along with a pilot/throw-out bearing and slave cylinder/fork.

Thanks,
Tim White

CPMac632
03-14-2003, 15:17
Nobody has a replacement flywheel yet that I know of. I am having one made but it will be a couple weeks before it is done. The problem with having one made is that gm has discontinued the starter ring gear so I need to find a way to get one. The main purpose of the dual mass is to reduce gear rattle under load.

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: CPMac632 ]</p>

Jelisfc
03-14-2003, 15:47
CPMac632, If you are having a single standard type flywheel made you might be able to buy an automatic flexplate and grind the welds.

CPMac632
03-14-2003, 20:11
Jelisfc that is a good idea and am considering it for mine. I was thinking of the future and everyone else sort of wishing I could figure out the oem supplier or any other option.

luvthesmellofdiesel
03-24-2003, 11:06
I finally got my truck back after 3 days at the dealer. When I asked him about how common this is, I didn't get a whole lot except for
he indicated that since the flywheel is technically part of the engine (the replacement engine's come with flywheels), it's warranted to 100,000 miles. Hopefully by the time I'm in for my 6th replacement, they'll have a real solution for this problem... How bout a single-mass (normal) flywheel? Anyone have one?

Jelisfc
03-25-2003, 03:16
A replacement clutch and flywheel has been released for the powerstroke/ZF combo by Centerforce. I called their tech line about our trucks. The tech's response was could be but they aren't informed until a product is ready for release.