PDA

View Full Version : paint splash removal

dodgerfan
09-01-2004, 11:23
Well, some @#$&%!! spilled paint in the Home Depot parking lot and didn't clean it up, then I had the good fortune to drive thru it and got it splashed up the passenger side of my new truck. It was a hot day and by the time I noticed it in the evening it was baked solid.

The only thing I've found that takes it off is laquer thinner (tried it on the chrome step, not the paint).

Does anyone know of a product that will remove this but not my trucks paint?

Thanks!!!

JoeyD
09-01-2004, 12:27
Prep solvent will remove it, or anything else for that matter. It won't hurt the paint but will remove all wax so wax after you use it. Get it from a body shop or a body shop supply house.

Paintdude
09-02-2004, 04:02
Try a Clay bar. By far the best way to remove contamination from your vehicle. Autozone,etc carry them..

mdrag
09-02-2004, 11:02
dodgerfan,

The Prep Solvent and clay bar are good suggestions. Another product to try is 3M adhesive remover.

I remember trying anything and everything to remove white splattered paint (road marking paint) on the rocker panels of a black car - the splattered paint was still there almost 10 years later when the car was sold... Good luck.

dodgerfan
09-02-2004, 14:57
Thanks all, I'll give it a try this weekend and see how it comes out. At least it's white paint on silver birch, so it doesn't look TOO bad...

198662T
11-01-2004, 17:35
WD-40 works great and did not harm paint. sorry for the late posting , new to the page. Scott

Dan
11-01-2004, 17:45
dodgerfan
Let us know how you did.

dodgerfan
11-02-2004, 07:41
Sorry I didn't post my results before...

I still have no idea what type of paint I got into, but it was thick and tough. I tried prep solvent and a clay bar - those didn't cut it at all. Then I talked with a guy at a body shop, he told me to try a product called "graffiti master" that I could get at a local Kelley Moore paint store. At the store they told me about the various strengths of the products and suggested "plasti-master" which is a less aggressive formula that wouldn't harm the underlying finish.

THIS STUFF WORKS!!! Still took a while and plenty of elbow grease, but it eventually removed all the paint from both the trucks finish and plastic areas like the wheel wells. Didn't scratch or dull the finish at all. I would highly recommend this stuff if you need to remove paint or other gunk from your truck. I know Kelley Moore sells it in our area, if you don't have a Kelley Moore I think their website www.graffitimaster.com (http://www.graffitimaster.com) will lead you to local distributors.