PDA

View Full Version : Dim Headlights

Choreboy
03-05-2003, 21:23
Can anybody tell me how to fix my headlight problem?

While on a trip this summer my lowbeams went out while driving at night.

When I got back from the trip I took my truck to the dealer to get the problem fixed.

Ever since I got the truck back it seems that the Headlights on low beam are hunting Night Crawlers. When I first drove the truck at night after the fix I thought the dealer had adjusted the Headlights down. However when I adjust the Headlights up the High Beams are Coon Hunting.
It seems that the lights were much better before the Dimmer Switch went out. I have checked the Voltage at the lights with the truck running and the lights on and I get roughly 13.5 Volts.

I took the truck to the dealer today and they said they could not find anything wrong with the lights.

Any help appreciated.
:confused:

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Choreboy ]</p>

NJDMAX
03-05-2003, 21:43
Choreboy,
You said you have 13.5 volts with the truck running is this using both the ground and the hot wire to measure? If not make sure the ground is good. Also check to make sure the bulbs are installed correctly,I have seen bulbs installed at an angle which will make the lights seem too low or too high depending on the angle.
Tom

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: NJDMAX ]</p>

FisHn2DMax
03-06-2003, 01:05
ChoreBoy, Take your sunglasses off at night! LoL

Seriously, go back and measure your voltage at the battery from positive to truck chassis ground, then do the same at the headlight plug. Compare the two voltage readings. If the Battery measurement was more than .5 volts higher, then I would suggest getting a JK headlight harness.

The other possibility for lower than expected voltage at the headlamp is resistive (Arcing)contacts on the low beam headlight relay?

Since your getting 13.5 volts, I don't think it's an alternator problem? Check all grounds headlight harness and negative battery cable to ground. The OEM headlight wire guage is just too small for proper candle power from the headlamps. Also, what is your battery's condition? Check for headlight voltage with and without engine running.

It sounds like it's might be time to visit JK's Web site and order a Headlight kit?

Good Luck! :D

motovet
03-06-2003, 01:55
Yes! Get the kit and see forever more.

Choreboy
03-06-2003, 07:04
Thanks Guys.

I have been thinking about a JK Headlight Harness for a while. I guess I just need to take the plunge.

Been foolin with the fuel filtration system here lately and I now hav the time to work on the Headlights.

Thanks again.
:D