PDA

View Full Version : Camper Shell for 3500 CC

Stage 1
01-19-2003, 22:06
Want to purchase a camper shell for 03' 3500 CC. Considering SnugTop, XV model, does anybody have this top and how do you like it, pros and cons? Did search on forum and found one comment where rear door leaked some in rain, is this common?
Other brands/models I should consider?
thanks in advance,

Trippin
01-19-2003, 22:31
I have a Snug Top Expo on my new truck. Also had one on my 99. Love them both. The lifetime structural warranty is also a bonus.

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: Trippin ]</p>

FirstDiesel
01-20-2003, 05:27
My experiences with Snug Top have been in the sportscar world and their product is far inferior to the others out there. I have ARE caps on both my trucks. The work truck has the budget line model and the play truck has the top of the line. Both have been great for quality, fit and finish.

BigLakeDMAX
01-20-2003, 08:11
Whichever cap you consider, check to see if it is a model built specifically for a crew cab or if they just use the extended cab model. Caps built for extended cabs don't match the slope of the back of the crew cab, resulting in a gap of about 6" between the top of the back of your cab and the front top of the cap - at least on the 02's. This would not look as good and would result in some major wind noise, I would expect.

I have the ARE Z topper and it is an excellent choice. This is my second ARE Cap and I've found the quality of the unit, along with replacement parts availibility and price (they don't handle backing out of your garage with the rear window open any better than other brands) to be good. Their paint match is excellent.

Good Luck!

Don

gardnerteam
01-20-2003, 10:24
While others on this thread have had great results with ARE, my results are miserable as you can see from my signature. They still haven't replaced the bad unit (warped sides)which replaced the first bad unit(back door way too small and had huge gaps between door and shell) and now the dealer says it is out of her hands and ARE is ignoring her. 14 months and still no solution. Wished I had ordered the Leer like I wanted to and not let the dealer talk me into a ARE. The problem may be they have more than one production facility and their west coast facility is not up to snuff. The East Coast and Midwest guys seem to have no problem.

FirstDiesel
01-20-2003, 19:33
I'm surprised about the quality issue you had with the ARE. I can't say enough about how well built my 2 units are and I have had 2 previous caps on different trucks by other makers and they weren't as good as the ARE.

As far as your warranty problem, seems to me it's more the relationship between the dealer and ARE than anything else. The guy I buy from is one of the biggest ARE dealers and when he calls them up with an issue they take care of him.

mattb5150
01-21-2003, 00:53
What is the good of having a dually (3500) if your going to put a camper shell on it? I'd look at LEER brand shells, they offer a fold down front window so you can get in there and clean both the glass on the truck and on the shell.

Matt B.

FirstDiesel
01-21-2003, 05:38
mattb5150

I don't follow your logic about the cap on a dually?? How about the fact that I tow a large bumper pull trailer, wanted the dually for control and still need a space to keep luggage etc out of the weather when I have the family with me.

As for the fold down window, my ARE Z series cap has the same thing.

mattb5150
01-21-2003, 11:41
First,

I have never driven a dually personally but would think most users would either get one to pull large heavy trailers that a single rear wheel would handle like a large gooseneck stock trailer or a fifth wheel trailer which would then prevent the use of a shell. Just curious.

Matt B.

FirstDiesel
01-21-2003, 18:48
Well I'm towing a 16k rated triple axle trailer on a bumper hitch. Wanted the dual rear wheels for the added comfort factor. I'm glad I did as the truck/trailer combo is great.

Stage 1
01-23-2003, 08:42
Thanks Everyone,

The comments are helping me narrow down my search, along w/providing key questions to ask. Thanks again.

As to why a canopy on 3500, basically for the same reasons Firstdiesel stated. I also choose a tag trailer for certain characteristics that it has, along with my needs. It will also be used for transporting/protecting machinery when not towing.