PDA

View Full Version : '93 2500 Mirrors?

trbankii
09-08-2005, 18:03
Ok, the '93 2500 I bought this past weekend has the basic stainless steel mirrors on it.

I knew that the windshield had been broken and replaced, the inspection stickers are on a piece of broken glass on the dashboard. The mirrors were at a bit of a funny angle, but I just figured they needed some adjustment. I'm now thinking that the truck was vandalized -- windshield broken and mirrors bashed. That seems to be the only reason I could come up with for replacing both mirrors...

Took the cover off the mirror support and there is no way to adjust them as much as needed. They angle up about 15 to 20 degrees. Looking at a couple other trucks, I think they replaced them with mirrors from an older vintage truck. The mirrors basically look the same, but the mounting post on the older trucks is more vertical while the newer mounting angles in with the curve of the A-pillar.

Guess the answer is to check the junkyard for the proper mirrors, but just a little odd. Have to see if I can bend the post a bit to get it in line, but I'm sorta doubting it. I got the name of the previous owner off the title while at the dealer, I think I'm going to try to research a little bit more of the history of the truck.

[ 09-09-2005, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: trbankii ]

trbankii
09-17-2005, 12:54
Curses! Foiled Again!

Ok, so I pulled the passenger side mirror off. Found a suitably sized piece of steel round stock and stuck it up inside the tube. Wedged it into one of the bench dog holes in my workbench and bent the tube into place. Took a couple tries, but got the angle right. Then ran it through the bandsaw to cut about an inch off the tube. Put everything back in place and adjusted it and I'm back in business.

Over to the driver's side. First thing is that the previous owner (PO) lost the metal shim (collet?) that holds the mirror. In its place he wrapped duct tape and then teflon tape around the tube to make it work. Gooey mess... Pulled it all out and cleaned everything up. Have to get a piece of brass tube of the appropriate size to replace the collet. Anyway, go to stick the round stock into the tube and find that this tube is about three times thicker than the one from the other side... Hmmm... Give it a try anyway. Well, it ain't budging one bit.

Ok, so I guess it is off to the junkyard for ONE side mirror...

More Power
09-18-2005, 06:17
I've got two sets of the 1988-94 mirrors gathering dust. For the cost of shipping, I'll send you a set... smile.gif

Jim

trbankii
09-18-2005, 12:24
That would work! Thanks, Jim. I'll send you my address and info.

trbankii
09-29-2005, 03:24
Got the mirrors from Jim the other day and got them installed. Everything looks much better (the truck no longer looks like Mickey Mouse) and I actually have a rear view out of the rearview mirrors now!

Thanks, Jim!