PDA

View Full Version : Replacing OEM 26 gal Dmax fuel tank

Jack's Dmax
01-14-2003, 02:50
I would like to hear from those that have replaced their 26 gallon OEM fuel tank with a 40 gal or larger. I have searched and found a 45 gal tank that fits in place of the OEM tank. Before buying the new tank, I would like to hear from someone that has already done this. Also would like to hear where you got yours from and approximately what it cost.

Thank you,

ccds
01-14-2003, 06:53
take a look at this site:

http://www.transferflow.com/html/aftermarket_0.html

Learn to use the search button in the top right hand corner, I searched under fuel tanks in 2500/3500 accessories and found lots. Here is one of the many that came up that might help:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000101&p=

smile.gif

mdrag
01-14-2003, 09:02
Jack's Dmax,

I have the 56 gal TFI midship replacement tank on my '01 3500 and have nothing but good things to say about it. Don't forget the fast fill fillneck option. There are pics of the TFI tank install at the first link in my sig.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

turbolag
01-14-2003, 10:28
I replaced my stock tank with a 45 gallon TFI unit. I also added the large fillneck. I paid around 1K for the complete setup to my door. I also installed unit by myself NOT RECOMMENDED..Great tank no complaints well made.

Bill Knieper
01-14-2003, 11:20
Thanks for the info and photos. I sure would like a larger tank. It appears to me that the replacement tank wraps under the fuel cooler and has an additional container towards the front of the truck. If this is the case, and the cooler is not raised up, how much lower is the new tank (less ground clearance) than the original tank? I some times use my truck off the road, so this is a concern.
Thanks

RichBailey
01-15-2003, 10:26
I love this 45 gal tank. Before used to fill after using 20 gallons. Now with the new tank and slightly bent fuel float, 40 gallons. Much better.

Just went out and measured ground clearance. Only 9.25". I would be hesitant about using for true offroad use. Sticks below frame rails but is still above shock towers and differential.