PDA

View Full Version : Shefenacker TTT mirrors and heat option

Ram
03-01-2003, 22:14
Okay, I've got the mirrors, I've installed them. They're great.

I have one question. The documentation says that you can upgrade your vehicle with non-heated mirrors to heated mirrors.

I bought the mirrors with the lights and heat. My question is:

"How does the heated mirrors work?"

According to my GM manual, factory heated mirrors turn on when you turn on the rear defrosters. My 2002 2500hd is not equipped with rear defrosters.

I emailed Schefenacker regarding this. They said that in the absence of rear defrosters, the heated mirror option will be turned on all the time.

I feel the opposite is true. I feel like there's a connector in my dash that needs to be plugged into something.

Can anybody tell me if this is true or not? If the heated mirror option isn't functional, Schefenacker told me to notify them.

Thanks for any assistance,

Ryan

JEBar
03-02-2003, 06:39
Ram .... sorry I can offer no answers but do have a couple of questions. I am going to order ttt mirrors for my truck. How hard are they to install? Do they come with good/clear directions? Where did you order yours from? My truck is an '02 with factory heated mirrors, I would think that unless you've hot wired yours, they should not be heated ... Jim

Ram
03-02-2003, 19:13
Thanks, that's what I figure. But I'm gonna question Schefenacker about it some more. So far I've been quite pleased with their responsiveness to my email. Just have to wait a day for a reply, but they've replied to them all.

I did the job in about 4 hours. Wasn't difficult, I just took my time. The directions are excellent. They're descriptive and include pictures of what they're talking about. You can download a set from their website. I didn't feel lost at any point and I'm not at all familiar with working on these trucks. If I could do it anybody should be able to.

One thing is incorrect in the documentation. At least it is was for my truck. The directions say to wire in the passenger side marker light in the passenger side fuse box onto the orange connector there. My truck doesn't have an orange connector at that location. I ended up running the wire over to the drivers side and connecting it up with the driver's side marker light. I emailed Schefenacker about this and they said they had just become aware of it and were in the process of updating their directions on the website. It wasn't any big deal, just check for that connector before you start so you know how long a wire to use.

I