PDA

View Full Version : Help Changing OPS Needed

sbdaigo
07-23-2004, 14:44
I have been trying hard to resolve a DTC 34 - and every mechanic I speak with agrees that it is a fuel issue. Before I end up changing the IP - only 38K on it, I was told to change the fuel lift pump, and then stry the OPS. I don

tom.mcinerney
07-23-2004, 19:28
sbdaigo--There were a lot of posts this topic in past year. Click on the 'search' option [beneath "Post Reply"; to right of "my Profile" in menu bar above, below advertisement this page], and enter 'ops'; this should yield lots answers. It isn't an easy project with the harness/heads on engine....

a5150nut
07-23-2004, 19:52
If you remove the glow plug relay and get the socket for the OPS it's not all that bad. Be carefull of side pressure on the OPS going back in. You will find it in the valley at the rear of the motor on the drivers side of the valley.
Black cylinder screwed into a fitting on the rear of the block.

Imteam
07-23-2004, 20:48
I got my OPS socket at NAPA for about $10. removing and replacing the OPS took me about 15 minutes. Replacing the lift pump was easy too, but a little less pleasant as I got a diesel shower in the process!!! smile.gif

Good luck.

HowieE
07-25-2004, 12:13
What code are you seeing, my book doesn't even list a 34 code?
Why replace parts without conferming which one is bad first?
With the engine cold. Open the fuel filter drain and place a bottle under it. Turn on the ignition to the run postion for 20 seconds. If you see a pint or more fuel in the bottle your fuel pump and filter and oil pressure relay circuit are OK.
Empty the bottle put it back under the drain hose. Start the engine and again after 20 second of running, and not including glow plug cycle time, you have about the same fuel in the bottle your oil pressure switch is OK. If these are all OK look elsewhere for you problem but consider relaying the OPS to insure it's long life. A diagram is on my web site.