PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

DWSson1
08-11-2005, 18:08
I have an 03 3500 dually Duramax and pull a medium sized fifthe wheel trailer. My exhaust temp, tranny temp (I have an add on additional rediator mounted tranny cooler) and coolant temp stay in green, but a long or even medium sized pull up a hill on a warm or hot day pushes my oil temp (I added exh and oil temp guages) near redline. I tried to get a performance shop to put on a remote engine oil cooler, but they could find no oil cooler on the truck, and no way to splice in lines. Also, apparently there is no sandwich adapter for the 03 (there is for the 02 and older) to pull oil from the filter, because (I am told)GM went to a real oddball thread pattern/pitch on the 03 filter housing (to thwart add on coolers??).

Has anyone run into this problem? Or better yet, found a way to add an engine oil cooler to an 03?

madmatt
08-11-2005, 19:10
your 03 has a cooler mounted on the left side of the block. It's built in to the filter base.

jbplock
08-12-2005, 06:26
Originally posted by DWSson1:
...GM went to a real oddball thread pattern/pitch on the 03 filter housing ...Has anyone run into this problem? Or better yet, found a way to add an engine oil cooler to an 03? The Duramax Oil Filter thread size is 13/16

DWSson1
08-15-2005, 16:07
Thanks for the replies. More info:

My oil temp guage is a bit vague at the high end. Doing some extrapolation from the numbers, it looks like the end of the green arc is about 250 degrees, yellow from 250 to 260 or 270 or so, and red above that. I have gotten into the red twice, and yellow a number of times. All pulling a 28 foot fiver up a long (long - like 3 miles of climb)grade on a hot day (100 degrees) using a chip (edge juice on 2 setting), exhaust at 900, coolent and tranny temps in green, tow/haul mode, cabin a/c running too, of course. These are the grades and hills of California hills/mountains. Everything stays green except for the oil temp, which holds steady for a while then beguns a steady climb. After the grade is crested the oil temp drops back into the green pretty quickly. I have an after market K&N style air filter, stock (3 1/2 inch ) exhaust. I use full synthetic oil (no add on by-pass filter). Current oil is Rotella T Syn 5w40.

I am thinking of adding an Amsoil type oil filter system with both by-pass and full flow filters. If so, can I tap into the full flow line and add an oil cooler? Or will that cause an oil pressure problem?

Thanks for any help.

jbplock
08-16-2005, 11:05
DWSson1,

Since you coolant and tranny temps are normal I would guess you oil temp is OK.. This would also be a good question to ask Dr. Lee in his forum. What is a safe/normal range for diesel oil temps?

smile.gif