PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Knob Replacement

VA_Dmax
01-09-2003, 16:05
Has anyone out there with a six speed replaced the shifter knob or know how it is removed? Havent really taken a good look at it yet, but just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure before I went about my usual way of figuring things out.

Jelisfc
01-10-2003, 09:57
It feels like the shifter is threaded is a lock nut under the boot. Keep us posted. I was going to do something with mine to include a Hurst tee handle but that's more of a summer project for me.

VA_Dmax
01-13-2003, 17:59
Well I'm stumped. It looks like there is the actual rubber knob that is attached to some type of plastic piece that attaches to the actual shift lever. I took a wrench to the knob and tried to loosen it both ways, left and right turns. No luck. Tried prying the rubber boot from the plastic piece. No luck. If I wasnt worried about trying to keep the stock knob in decent shape to reuse it I would just hack it off with a blade. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks

CPMac632
01-14-2003, 00:43
I have a friend with a ford and his 6 speed knob is splined and pressed on. My shifter is out waiting on a new flywheel so I'll try to see if mine looks the same tomorrow.

DmaxMaverick
01-14-2003, 06:28
I haven't had a close up look at one, so I may be talkin' out the business end.

Many GM shifter knobs are retained with a U shaped clip that looks like a square fence staple. Look at the front of the knob about half way up for a slot in the rubber. If you find a slot, I'd bet that there is a clip in there. Pull the clip (needle nose pliers or hook) and it should lift up.

Good luck if this doesn't help. Cheers

VA_Dmax
01-14-2003, 17:51
Well Ive done enough destruction now on the knob that I would have to find a new one if I wanted to go back to stock. Ive cut the rubber to expose the plastic cylinder that is somehow attached to the actual shifter. Didnt see any clips and Ive dug a canyon into the side of the plastic with a wrench. No luck, still cant get it off. Ive pulled up, turned left... right...

mdrag
01-14-2003, 21:27
VA_Dmax,

I looked through the '01 Helm manual to see if there was any info that would help in your quest...There are instructions on how to remove the shift lever, but nothing I could find on removing the knob :eek:

Could it be that the knob is not replacable/removable without major cosmetic damage to the knob? :confused:

I can't check one out since I have the Allison...

Jelisfc
01-14-2003, 22:15
I was talking about how to get the whole shift lever off. From the looks the knob is molded on. I was thinking about using aluminum bar stock the same dia as the base and tapering the knob end down and threading for a Hurst tee handle. You might be able to get by with a straight lever. If not plan B is a slight bend like the stocker. Now you have me curious and since I need some aluminum I'll have to investigate.

mackin
01-15-2003, 05:37
Jelisfc

It appears in the manual (Helms) it unscrews from the shift tower ....It also says to NOT remove shift lever adjusting nut....

MAC

Jelisfc
01-15-2003, 10:58
Mackin, thanx for the info. Once it warms up a bit I'll be checking it out.

VA_Dmax
01-16-2003, 05:27
CPMac632 was right, the shifter is splined at the top and the knob is molded and pressed on the shifter like the ford he saw. There is no "easy" way off, you just have to cut the rubber knob off, then grind off the plastic piece that is molded to the shifter.

Jelisfc
02-06-2003, 16:39
It's not a top priority but I am having a new shift handle made. Same length but threaded for a Hurst tee handle. I still have to make a drawing for the guy and get the thread size for the bottom end. Maybe sometime in March before it's done.

VA_Dmax
02-11-2003, 16:17
Jelisfc, just read that you wanted to have a new shifter fab'ed and thought Id throw in some of my experiences from replacing the knob. The stock knob actually added about 3-4 inches of throw to the shifter, so with it replaced with just a ball on the stock shifter, with the center armrest folded down, it can be a little tight getting back to 3rd sometimes. So I would surely keep that slight bend as it keeps it away from the armrest some. If you can post some pics Id love to see it when you get it done. And if you wouldnt mind passing along the specs on length and threads when you figure it out! Thanks!