PDA

View Full Version : Accessories that increase towing fuel mileage

markrinker
08-09-2005, 07:30
The title says it all. Has anyone found aftermarket accessories that solidly and reliabily increase towing fuel mileage?

My 2005 LLY is delivering 12.5 average mpg under tow and up to 20 empty. Would like to improve the 12.5 with careful addition of mods like foam air filters, exhaust and/or mufflers, etc.

Edge Juice claims mileage increase. Anybody seen this - under towing conditions?

gbeaird
08-14-2005, 12:55
I have been thinking about this subject, too. Actually, accessories, or things you can do to increase mileage in general, with towing mileage a plus. Just stuff that has been tested and proven to work, like tire pressures, etc.

For me, one thing that seems to have already paid for itself is the Tahoe front facia extension that was mentioned on this list a few months back. I think I have gained about .5 MPG from it. The original poster claimed about a MPG, IIRC.

IMHO, once the list gets started, it would make a good stickie item.

Gene Beaird

DWSson1
08-15-2005, 16:23
I pull a 28 fiver. 03 3500 4x4 dually. When I installed the juice (truck had 25,000 miles on it then) empty milage went from 20 to 22, and towing average highway went from 10 to 12. Plus gobs more power. I tow on 2 setting, keep normal ops to 1 setting (so I can back off while towing if I need to - no need yet, but I like a safety factor). I figure I have already saved the price of the chip from fuel savings alone. Go figure. I also use full synthetic eng oil, I added a K&N style air filter, I have stock 3 1/2 inch exhaust (with Banks ex brake installed), changed tranny and rear diff to full synthetic oil. I also use an air/wind deflector when towing the 5er.

rat4go
09-01-2005, 03:21
Are you basing your mileage improvement numbers on the in-dash computer, or from real distance divided by fuel-put-in-at-the-pump?

I keep pretty good fuel records for my truck, and I've found a pretty consistant difference between the computer and 'reality' (computer predicts higher than reality). If you're basing your numbers on the computer, I'm wondering if there's something with the EDGE that further confounds the computer.

xwing
09-01-2005, 17:49
Since the aerodynamic drag on a trailer is mostly from the vacuum at the REAR of the big box trailer, a big plastic dome of some sort that could be easily put on/removed from the REAR of a trailer (I have 24' enclosed car hauler trailer) would seem to be best...are there any such things?

I know they make rounded plastic/fiberglass domes for the FRONT of the trailer, I think I'll get one of those...but the REAR is where the money is, as far as improving aero the most...

DA BIG ONE
09-02-2005, 02:16
Originally posted by xwing:
Since the aerodynamic drag on a trailer is mostly from the vacuum at the REAR of the big box trailer, a big plastic dome of some sort that could be easily put on/removed from the REAR of a trailer (I have 24' enclosed car hauler trailer) would seem to be best...are there any such things?

I know they make rounded plastic/fiberglass domes for the FRONT of the trailer, I think I'll get one of those...but the REAR is where the money is, as far as improving aero the most... This rear dome can be seen on some highend enclosed auto carriers....

MTTwister
09-02-2005, 13:39
And if it could double as a satelitte antenna, that would be a plus! smile.gif

gbeaird
09-15-2005, 09:50
I have always wondered if the power units improve mileage. This is good to know. Upping mileage 2 MPG would be GREAT. With my little open trailer and 2700# race car, I could be getting >20 MPG TOWING!! I'll have to tell my co-driver about this. :)

Gene Beaird
02 2500HD D/A
Pearland, Texas

Originally posted by DWSson1:
I pull a 28 fiver. 03 3500 4x4 dually. When I installed the juice (truck had 25,000 miles on it then) empty milage went from 20 to 22, and towing average highway went from 10 to 12. Plus gobs more power. I tow on 2 setting, keep normal ops to 1 setting (so I can back off while towing if I need to - no need yet, but I like a safety factor). I figure I have already saved the price of the chip from fuel savings alone. Go figure. I also use full synthetic eng oil, I added a K&N style air filter, I have stock 3 1/2 inch exhaust (with Banks ex brake installed), changed tranny and rear diff to full synthetic oil. I also use an air/wind deflector when towing the 5er.

Heartbeat Hauler
09-19-2005, 15:07
My opinion on programmers adding mileage is that due to more aggressive shift tuning (better TCC lockup) and with the added power the trans can stay in overdrive for longer periods of time without downshifting on a hill or with a headwind.
JP

madmatt
09-19-2005, 18:02
Hey Hauler, Waht part of E-ville are you from? I'm there 2-3 times a week on the University Dr and Diamond Ave Projects. I've got an office @ the plant @ the intersection of Diamond and I believe it's St. Joesph (I get all those cross roads confused)There by Mesker Zoo.

Heartbeat Hauler
09-20-2005, 19:26
Originally posted by madmatt:
Hey Hauler, Waht part of E-ville are you from? I'm there 2-3 times a week on the University Dr and Diamond Ave Projects. I've got an office @ the plant @ the intersection of Diamond and I believe it's St. Joesph (I get all those cross roads confused)There by Mesker Zoo. Howdy! I live on the northside just about 7.5 miles north up first avenue and then a mile & half west on Orchard. I drive by those construction sites almost every day, but I'm startin' to detour that one lane stuff gets time consuming. You can also go north on St. Joe about the same distance and then turn east for 2 miles on Orchard. How much longer are those projects gonna last? So far it's lookin' good. Anyways, Keep a look out for a white '01 Dooley with black fiberglass runnin' boards and a louvered V-gate tail gate that'll be me. I'll keep an eye out for somebody wavin' or throwin' rocks at me :D
JP

madmatt
09-22-2005, 17:42
They've got one bridge deck to do on west bound Diamond then the second phase starts, the east bound lanes. On University, the driving lanes are nearly complete, then all we have to do is the shoulders. One day University will go all the way to I64. Right now I'm mostly in Hardin Co. KY. I may be back down there late next week. Keep an eye out for my pewter 02' CC/SB gas burner. I'm mostly at the plant or on University. Have you ever bought gas @ that station (Busslers's maybe???)? Don't!!! It totaled my buddies fuel system in his F-150