Hi all,

The plastic tailgate cap on my dually is
getting pretty beat up. Does anyone have
a suggestion for an aftermarket METAL cap
that can be placed on top of the existing
plastic cap? Thanks.

TraceF
01-07-2003, 13:44
Can't answer your question about putting it over the plastic but the diamond plate replacement ones are everywhere.

On the plastic caps- mine is held on with 2 sided tape and already coming loose on one end. The earlier ones had screws you could see from the back.

Seems like the new ones are a step backwards!

RichBailey
01-07-2003, 16:56
I replaced my plastic cap with a stainless steel cap from Putco. Also put in the SS tailgate protector. It does make the tailgate quite a bit heavier but also offers a lot of protection.

When you pull the plastic cap you will find four holes for the chevy cap. I put 1/4-20 nutserts in the holes and match drilled the SS cap. Then used 1/4-20 SS torxhead capscrews. Looks very good and holds the cap against the tailgate. On the inside I used 1/4 rivets to hold the cap and protector in place.

Go over to www.putco.com and look around. They have some nice stuff and I think the stainless looks much better than the diamond plate.

YZF1R
01-07-2003, 17:55
Mine is also peeling up from the passenger side. Everyones' wouldn't happen to be working up off from the same side would it? (Just wondering.)

For those of you that replaced it with S.S., what did you use under it if anything to keep from damaging the paint? I may be worrying for nothing though, as dirt under the plastic one will scratch up the paint too with vibration. I can just start to see the holes in the tailgate for factory mounting, and would like to use those like Rich Bailey did, although apparently I still need to drill holes on the inside.

Steve

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: YZF1R ]</p>

HDLD
01-07-2003, 19:56
Mine's ok at about 6000 mi. but I recall on my y2k 1500 Silverado it came off while driving (approx. 60,000 mi. point). I was doing about 100mph at the time...had a tonneau cover on most of the time but not this day.

The dealer mentioned that on the GMC's it was bolted on but just taped for the Silverado's.

On the bright side, the replacement was quite cheap from a shop in town.

Or just have your bed sprayed with the rails included...

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: HDLD ]</p>

RichBailey
01-08-2003, 09:57
I changed my cap out because the factory plastic cap did not really protect the tailgate edge. Try dropping or dragging any 4x12's over it and you will find out.

As to scratching under the SS cap, I frankly didn't worry about it because I have no plans on removing the cap. The SS cap comes with 2 small self drilling screws to mount it up on each side on the inside of the tailgate. I used 1/4" rivets because I wanted a more secure install.

The only reason I put nutserts on the outside of the tailgate was because the hexagonal holes were already punched. I used a unibit to round out the holes to the proper size then installed steel nutserts. The factory sheetmetal is really thin!!

After match marking and drilling the SS cap, I installed it with SS capscrews. Now the cap is pulled tight to the tailgate and the sides of the cap don't stick proud. Looks good as well.

The combination of the SS inside tailgate protector and cap do make the tailgate much heavier. But now you can slide material in and out of the truck much easier and without damage.

crafty
01-09-2003, 10:11
I put a DeeZee diamond plate full tailgate cover on mine. It's been on there two years now and works great. (There are pics at the link below)
I think that is the only way to go. :D :D :D