PDA

View Full Version : New "Black" Silverado - How to keep nice.

keywest
10-22-2003, 09:04
Ordered a new Black, Chevy D/A, CC. No Build-Date from Dealer till 10/31.
I would really appreciate ideas on How to keep the new baby clean?
I've used Mothers wax's w/ good results & have seen ad's for Pinnacle "Souvern Wax that is supposed to be one of the best..
What do you think???
Thanks, Paul

Heartbeat Hauler
10-22-2003, 09:34
Put it in a cool dark cellar and it will stay nice for ever... :D
Or, if your a drive-it-every-day kinda guy, then there is a product called Zaino that works wonders on my Vette. However, it ain't that easy to use on a big honkin' truck. I use the 6 month liquid wax from Turtle Wax or NU Finish. If you put two coats on you can get almost a year out of it depending on climate and conditions.
JP

[ 10-23-2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Heartbeat Hauler ]

motovet
10-22-2003, 10:07
Zaino is by far the best I have used. I have MANY half bottles of other brands for our next garage sale.

HD-Nate
10-22-2003, 10:44
One word - ZAINO

There are several Zaino users here on this forum.

Go to www.zainostore.com (http://www.zainostore.com)

First off, if you really want the best care for your black truck, I cant emphasize this enough, DO NOT LET THE DEALER DETAIL YOUR TRUCK. Tell them to do the mechanicals and you will take care of the rest.

The KID that will clean your new truck is getting paid minimum wage and probably hates his job and will do whatever to get it done as soon as possible. Not taking care to use the best cloths and will probably scratch your black.

Clay bar your new truck to get off all the rail dust and other contaminants.

I was a 30 year McGuire

sonofagun
10-22-2003, 11:16
Paul,

Paint it white tongue.gif !

seriously, I have owned several black vehicles. The best way to deal with them in my opinion is:

1. Do a good Zaino job it it. Repeat this every 6 months.
2. Get your self a Calif. Car duster and use it to keep ALL the dust off whenever possible.
3. Get a good spray finish (the kind you spray on after you wash and dry the vehicle. Test several to find the one that wipes off clear and doesn't swirl.)
4. Use lots of CLEAN cotton towels
5. After everything else -- if you have some swirling (you will) try a spray bottle of distilled water. Spray it on and wipe with a clean cotton towel.
6. When you wash it use LOTS of clear water and several washing mitts, clothes, etc. If it looks dirty that dirt is swirling your paint.

They (black vehicles) are gorgeous but a real pain in the tail to keep that way.

Good luck,
Bob

GMC-2002-Dmax
10-22-2003, 15:05
Ask mackin........

He has so much Zaino on his Dooley he could never get it all off.

Shiny as can be.......

GMC :D

Max Power
10-22-2003, 16:37
Personally when I buy a black vehicle I insist that the dealer does not wash it before delivery or when it goes in for repair. One bad wash job and you will see it in the paint forever! My dealer always seems to have high school kids washing too, that never helps.

keywest
10-23-2003, 09:35
Nate, Beautiful Truck!!!
All seem to love Zaino, I'll try it...
Clay Bars scare the p..p out of me but I guess that seems to be the way to go.. & thanks for the advice about the Dealers washing it!!! I'd rather get intimate w/ it myself..

Thanks a lot, Paul

motovet
10-23-2003, 11:12
I always tell the dealer not to wash it when I have been in for service. Even though I tell them this, the last time I was in for service I looked out to see my truck in the dreaded wash rack anyway and he was almost done. Took a few coats of Z5 to fix that up. Now I will keep an eye on my truck if and when I need service. Paul, if you got the LT, you might want to try the leather stuff Zaino offers. It works great.

keywest
10-23-2003, 15:51
I found Zaino's web site and I ordered their starter kit & I promise to follow all your reccomendations..Promise. Thanks, Paul

Paintdude
10-23-2003, 17:07
I have a Black 02 and have been using Zaino. If you apply it correctly,especially on a new vehicle it is very rewarding..IMO

Timberline
10-23-2003, 17:33
I have used Mothers carnuba and Eagle One carnuba paste on my Black 2000 Z-71 with good results, prefered eagle One but when I got my black '02 CC dualie I decided to try a clay bar (which works really well. couldn't believe the amount of rail dust that came out of the paint ) and Zaino. I feel that Zaino is definately the best hands down. It makes the paint look deeper and love not seeing any swirrels in that black paint. that is my .02cents

NETMINDER
10-24-2003, 09:46
Ha!
Massachucetts - not a chance of keeping that baby clean in the winter - unless you do the cool dark cellar thing...

good luck

jesshd
10-27-2003, 20:26
Easy. Get it very clean. Then use the detail clay of your choice, followed by polish, then a good carnuba wax. You will have to repeat this twice a year. I have used Zaino and like it as well. I have had 3 black vehicles. That is why my 03 is white :D

Jess

wangotango
11-16-2003, 10:10
keywest::

I also have a black truck. Typical..great when it's cleaned-up, shows dirt quickly. But you know that, you ordered it black.

There is no difference between keeping a white truck clean and a green or black truck clean. Most top shelf wax products work just fine. The Turtle Wax black works great.

The best scenario for long term cleanliness is covered storage. Makes all the difference in the world.

This world anyway. Maybe not worlds where they call vehicles "baby".

Yikes.

good luck,
w/t

RWA II
11-16-2003, 13:14
Anyone have a coupon code for my Zaino purchase. Their products look great, thanks for the info guys.

RWA

mobowhunter
11-17-2003, 09:20
What Zaino products do you use. Went to there site, and what is the best product for our use.

LakeDaisy
11-17-2003, 12:37
Originally posted by Heartbeat Hauler:
Put it in a cool dark cellar and it will stay nice for ever... :D
JP Yep. Opened the garage door. Backed the truck out. Then I saw it! A big, black, rain cloud. Put the truck back in the garage... Maybe I can drive it tomorrow.

James S
11-17-2003, 14:39
Hey There,

I spoke to Sal, via e mail and he said to me:
use the dish washing soap, then clay bar, then Z5 and the ZFX accelerator additive TOGETHER, then after drying, a coat of Z2 along with their ZFX accelerator additive TOGETHER, again. Go to
www.zainobros.com (http://www.zainobros.com) for all the step by step instructions and details. I also use baby oil on the leather, inside the truck, and it works like a hot damn, and gives it a gentle sent afterwards, and not annoyingly strong. When I use some of those other baby products on my seventeen month-old son, he just REEKS after, because the sent is so potent. I also use the baby oil on the dash, and other plastic. Be careful not to get any wax on any of the chrome, stainless-steel, etc. It's a b**ch to get off! Fire away with any more questions!

James
smile.gif

LakeDaisy
11-17-2003, 18:13
Originally posted by James S:
Hey There,

Be careful not to get any wax on any of the chrome, stainless-steel, etc. It's a b**ch to get off! Fire away with any more questions!

James
smile.gif Not sure what you mean by this as you do put the wax on the chrome.

One of the great things about this wax is it doesn't leave any white residue on the black plastic or rubber parts if you happend to get it on them while waxing the truck. I've got 4 coats of Z5 on the truck so far. The black was pretty scratched up. It's lookin' a lot better. Plan on putting a few more coats of Z5 before applying the Z2. Truck looks completely different (clean and waxed) than it did when I bought it a few weeks ago.

James S
11-18-2003, 11:40
Hey There,

Sorry about that. You are right. However, you are supposed to put a coat of Z2 BETWEEN each coat of Z5! So, you can get wax on the crome or stainless-steel????
James

keywest
11-18-2003, 19:42
WISH I HAD A GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the Helpful stuff...

Paint it White,
Put it in the garage & shut the door,
"Baby", well, maybe I mean I'll "Baby it",
Don't breath too heavily around it, ha,ha,ha.

My Build - Date is sometime next week, the week of Thanksgiving so far.
I'm plenty excited & somewhat like an "Expectant Father", I guess.?,!
Waitin for it to "Pop Out of the "Baby Factory" is nerve racking, especially as the clock is still tickin on all those rebates .........

Thanks again & can't wait to put my Zaino on in 10 degrees, I envy you Southern Boys, you hardly ever see 10 degrees - huh? How long will it take Zaino to set up @ 10 degrees to -5 ??? How many coats can I put on before my hands stop functioning all together???

All legitamate questions, ha. See ya later, Paul

LakeDaisy
11-19-2003, 16:57
Originally posted by James S:
Hey There,

However, you are supposed to put a coat of Z2 BETWEEN each coat of Z5!
James James. I don't agree. You can put on as many coats of Z5 as you like. You never have to put on Z1 or Z2. But, you would probably want to apply Z2 as your final coat as it makes the finish look 'deeper'.

Quote fm Zaino "You can switch to Z2 as soon as you are happy with the way the paint finish looks. Example, no more swirls, scratches etc. It's up to you. Z2 has higher optical properties than Z5. You can go from Z2 to Z5 and then back to Z2 as often as you want. Z2 and Z5 are 100% compatible and interchangeable. You should always end with Z2 as the last coat because of its higher optics."

HD-Nate
11-20-2003, 07:33
Originally posted by LakeDaisy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by James S:
Hey There,

However, you are supposed to put a coat of Z2 BETWEEN each coat of Z5!
James James. I don't agree. You can put on as many coats of Z5 as you like. You never have to put on Z1 or Z2. But, you would probably want to apply Z2 as your final coat as it makes the finish look 'deeper'.

Quote fm Zaino "You can switch to Z2 as soon as you are happy with the way the paint finish looks. Example, no more swirls, scratches etc. It's up to you. Z2 has higher optical properties than Z5. You can go from Z2 to Z5 and then back to Z2 as often as you want. Z2 and Z5 are 100% compatible and interchangeable. You should always end with Z2 as the last coat because of its higher optics." </font>[/QUOTE]LAKEDAISY You are correct!

I think he may have meant to use Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray between coats which is what Sal recommends in his "Tips and Tricks" section and is what I have done on all my daily drivers and show cars.

Another not so well known fact. The Z7 Zaino Car Wash contains a small amount of Z2 and will help to "refresh" your shine with each wash.

IF you have leather, be sure to get some Zaino Leather Care products, they work better than Lexol IMHO and the smell is like new leather smile.gif